March 29, 2024, 01:51:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: [URGENT] question about monochlorination and then fractional distillation  (Read 5401 times)

Offline intel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ight here is the question im stuck on, if you can tell me the method your using for figuring it out as well as what you come out with it would be very much appreciated and i will tell you what im getting and maybe someone can point me in the right direction. 

[ Cis 1,2 dimethylcyclobutane is monochlorinated and the product mixture is carefully distilled into various fractions. Characterize the mixture by filling in the boxes" and the boxes are 'how many factions are optically active', 'how many consist of a single compound', 'how many factions contain racemic mixture', and 'how many are optically active'. ]

Ight so i have draw out the structures for the monochlorination including the cis and trans Cl's on the 2 C's that dont contain the methyl group, I have come up with a total of 4 factions that will be acquired in the distillation they are: 1-chloro cis (2,3)-dimethylcyclobutane, 1-chloro trans (2,3) dimethylcyclobutane, 1-(1-chloromethyl) cis 2-methyl cyclobutane, 1-chloro trans (1,2)dimethylcyclobutane. But there are more I know this b/c the answer for the boxes is 0,0,5,0 respectively and i have draw out all the structures which come out to 8 but there are only 4 names (1 name for every 2).  What am i doing wrong!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 05:54:37 AM by intel »

Offline intel

Re: question about monochlorination and then fractional distillation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »
how many fractions do you come out with as well that would be very helpfull and how u came about it

Offline intel

Re: [URGENT] question about monochlorination and then fractional distillation
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 05:55:25 AM »
can anyone plz help me i have this midterm coming up on tuesday the 2nd of october and its 4 days away from now

Sponsored Links