April 28, 2024, 01:01:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: About Atomic Weight of All Elements  (Read 11024 times)

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
About Atomic Weight of All Elements
« on: January 11, 2005, 01:33:46 PM »
Do anyone know where (website) I can find the updated and reliable atomic weight data of all elements?

madisonwi

Re:About Atomic Weight of All Elements
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »
Strongly encourage you to use this site:

http://www.webelements.com/

It has a lot of useful, and reliable information on atomic weight, as well as many other tidbits.

Cheers,
Douglas Weittenhiller

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 05:29:46 PM »
Don't we have those on this site? It's not like atomic weights change. Jdurg and I are still in the process of getting our periodic table in shape.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:35:17 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 10:19:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm still working on formatting some things to make it easier to read and such.  I just haven't had the time.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

pizza1512

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:28:10 AM »
Keep it up!  It's a great forum!...

:)

dexangeles

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:25:41 AM »
does CRC have a website?  

pizza1512

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 09:12:50 AM »
How do they measure the Atomic Mass of the elements anyway?...

???

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 11:17:09 AM »
The Atomic Mass of an element is specific to each isotope.  So Deuterium has a different atomic mass than Tritium.  The Atomic Weight of an element is a calculate value based upon the % Isotopic Composition of the element.  The atomic mass/weight is given in terms of Atomic Mass Units which = 1/12 the mass of a Carbon 12 atom.  A Carbon 12 atom has 6 neutrons and 6 protons, so scientists said that an proton/neutron is equal to 1/12th the mass of a Carbon 12 atom and defined this mass as an Atomic Mass Unit.  (The exact calculations are pretty neat, and are usually explained in a general chemistry textbook).  The weights you see on a periodic table, are the averages of the Atomic Masses of the element's isotope based upon the isotopic abundance.  To calculate this, a purified sample of the element, in what is considered its 'natural isotopic proportion', is run through a Mass Spectrometer.  They are then able to see what percentage of that element is composed of each isotope.  So for example, let's say Element X has two isotopes.  They are X-95 and X-99.  They then run this pure element through a mass spec and see that 72% of it is X-95, and 28% is X-99.  To calculate the Atomic Weight seen on the periodic table, they use the formula (0.72*95)+(0.28*99) = 96.12 which is the atomic weight they would report.  The accuracy of the atomic weight reported is what can constantly change.  You have to run a LARGE number of samples and have a Mass Spec which is very accurate in order to get the large number of significant figures.  This is why weights can change over time, however by now they are mostly set in stone up to a certain number of decimal places.  However, as techniques are derived to get more accurate results on the Isotopic% for each element, the reported weights can get even more accurate.  Did that make sense?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 11:22:14 AM by jdurg »
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

pizza1512

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 08:23:25 AM »
A bit.

So how do you know when a isotope is stable or not by looking at its atomic mass and its proton number?...

???

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »
If the isotope is of an element that has more than 83 protons, it is not stable.  Elements 43, 61, and 84+ are all radioactive no matter what their isotope is.  For the other elements, there are some rules about stability that are defined in nuclear chemistry/physics.  But in a real life application, if they purify the isotope and see that it's radioactive, then umm.... it's not stable.   ;D

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 10:06:54 PM »
A bit.

So how do you know when a isotope is stable or not by looking at its atomic mass and its proton number?...

???

Light isotopes are most "stable" when the number of neutrons equals the number of protons. Heavier isotopes are stable when the number of neutons is twice the number of protons. Deviations from this formula lead to unstable isotopes.

Again Nuclear Chemistry suffers from where to draw the line on what is stable and what is not stable. Even the Hydrogen atom decays on a long enough time scale.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

pizza1512

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »
So when they charged?...

8)

Sponsored Links