March 28, 2024, 09:35:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why isn't anyone answering me? Please help  (Read 28149 times)

Offline FireBall

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Why isn't anyone answering me? Please help
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
Valdorod, in one message you state:

First AWK if you dissolve ammonium chloride in water and then evaporate all water you will have nothing left.  The two products that are made from this reaction are both gases at room temperature, thus evaporating the water will lead to the escape of the dissolved gases.  and to brentr as mentioned before this is not a straight double replacement reaction.  This reaction has a very distinct odor to it.

Then, later:

Thus once again I am not arguing that ammonium and chloride are not produced, nor that they are not produced in large quantities, when compared to the amount of ammonia.  And yes you need large molarities to even detect a hint of ammonia, thus the pH change is typically used more often as a means to detect evidence of reaction.  And yes evaporating the solution will produce ammonium chloride crystals.

Which is it? No residue or NH4Cl crystals? Distinct odor or merely a hint? You are doing backflips to support an interpretation of the original question that is at odds with reality.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 05:31:57 AM »
Valdorod, in one message you state:

First AWK if you dissolve ammonium chloride in water and then evaporate all water you will have nothing left.  The two products that are made from this reaction are both gases at room temperature, thus evaporating the water will lead to the escape of the dissolved gases.  and to brentr as mentioned before this is not a straight double replacement reaction.  This reaction has a very distinct odor to it.

Then, later:

Thus once again I am not arguing that ammonium and chloride are not produced, nor that they are not produced in large quantities, when compared to the amount of ammonia.  And yes you need large molarities to even detect a hint of ammonia, thus the pH change is typically used more often as a means to detect evidence of reaction.  And yes evaporating the solution will produce ammonium chloride crystals.

Which is it? No residue or NH4Cl crystals? Distinct odor or merely a hint? You are doing backflips to support an interpretation of the original question that is at odds with reality.

Hydrolysis, in this case, does not loose NH3 and HCl into atmosphere, since they react immediately. A specific odour of NH4Cl rather comes from easy sublimation of NH4Cl itself. Of course, hydrolysis can be detected in solution by a pH measurement, but degree of hydrolysis is of order of 1 %.
AWK

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:09 PM »
bethey22111 has been banned for 7 days due to multiple infractions of Forum Rules: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?page=forumrules

Mitch
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links