April 19, 2024, 03:21:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Exploding Target  (Read 3539 times)

Offline ryans63

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Exploding Target
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »
I was at the gun range today and a man was there that was shooting  a plastic bottle looking then filled with some sort of dry chemical.  One of the dry chemicals had to be kept separate from the other dry chemical until you where ready to use it.  One substance was white in color the other like a metallic sliver.  He open the small packet of silver chemical and poured it into the white dry chemical and  get them to mix, also the silver chemical was a very little amount, I would say the mixture ratio of the two chemicals was probably 1/50, 50 being the white and 1 being the silver.  It was also very stable, meaning it wasn’t a dangerous thing to handle, even mixed together.  He set the container about 100 yards away and it, for lack of better term, exploded, but was just a loud noise, the boom, was all it did.  asked him what was in it and he didn’t know because his brother gave it to him and he never asked him if he knew.  it’s a “exploding” target so real easy to site a gun in roughly as you will know when you hit it. What the chemicals used? Ratio? Why do those two compounds mixed explode? Any one have instructions on how to do it? Supplies needed? I have seen them in other places before and they are completely legal and allowed, in fact the park ranger where I sometimes shoot was there watching also.

Offline ifuller

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Exploding Target
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
I have a feeling the explosion was due to the heat from the bullet as opposed the the blunt force of hitting the target. Was there any fire when the target was hit?

Sponsored Links