March 28, 2024, 09:49:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gummy Bear + KCLO3 Reaction  (Read 35303 times)

Offline Shpoon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gummy Bear + KCLO3 Reaction
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »
Hi, I was planning on doing the gummy bear + KCLO3 reaction as a school demo, and was hoping someone could fill me in on exactly how this reaction works (with chemical equations hopefully).

As much as I understand, you melt the KCLO3 in a test tube (5g?) so that it dissociates in solution. When you add the gummy bear, what exactly happens? The oxygen from the chlorate react with the carbon in the gummy to form CO2, the gummy hydrogen and oxygen form H20 vapour, and not sure what else is formed (this is my understanding, correct me please if I'm wrong). The reaction is exothermic so it continues to fuel the release of O2 from the chlorate to continue the reaction until the gummy is consumed.

I'm just hoping someone can correct me, and expand on what happens, as well as show a chemical equation as I really don't know how this will work out.

The dissociation with the bunsen burner will work out to be? 2KCLO3(s) -> 2KCL(aq) + 3O2(g)  ?
Then I don't know what the equation with the gummy will be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys/gals.

Offline Shpoon

Re: Gummy Bear + KCLO3 Reaction
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »
Oh, I forgot to put my "prediction" then.

If a gummy bear is mainly glucose, and my assumption of the reaction is correct (someone plase still explain it better ;)), would it then be:

C6H12O6(s?) + 6O2(g) (from KCLO3) -> 6CO2(g) + 6H20(g)

Offline FireBall

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:22:18 PM »
You seem to have the right idea. A few tips when you do the demo:
-Make sure you use a Pyrex test tube, this is a very exothermic reaction!
-Use a stale gummy bear -- the fresh ones are sticky and might not slide all the way down the test tube.
-Do the demo in a fume hood -- lots of smoke is formed by this one.
-Practice before you show it in class!
-Wear goggles, but you knew that... ;)

Offline Shpoon

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 11:32:49 PM »
You seem to have the right idea. A few tips when you do the demo:
-Make sure you use a Pyrex test tube, this is a very exothermic reaction!
-Use a stale gummy bear -- the fresh ones are sticky and might not slide all the way down the test tube.
-Do the demo in a fume hood -- lots of smoke is formed by this one.
-Practice before you show it in class!
-Wear goggles, but you knew that... ;)

Ah, didn't think about using a stale gummy, good call.

I actually realized that the gummy is sucrose (whoops), and the equation will be:

C12H22O11(s) + KCLO3(?) -> CO2(g) + H20(g) + KCL(?)

What state is the KCLO3 and KCL in? Technically they're molten, but do I consider them a solid or aqueous solution?

Was hoping someone could give a quick explanation of what exactly is happening in this reaction (or confirm my guess) as well :)

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
HI, I've done this many times and its always a good reaction.

you must heat the KClO3 first to melt it, so it is KClO3(l), KCl is (s) because even when we do just the decomposition in a crucible with a bunsen burner, the temperature doesn't get hot enough to reach the KCl mp. It's pretty cool to do just this, because you see first a solid then a liquid, then boiling then when the oxygen decomposes it returns to a solid (KCl) again.

When using it with gummy bears, actually sticky one are GOOD because you can "spice" up the reaction by rolling the sticky gummy bears in inorganic salts like SrCl2 or NaCl or KCl to get COLORS! I use this demo when we do atomic structure - and so also to make the connection to fireworks!! - photon emission when electrons fall from higher excited energy levels to lower ones.

Yes, the Pyrex testtube is an must and its good to have a sand bath underneath your testtube. Of course its safest done in the fumehood

Have fun !

Offline FireBall

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »
When using it with gummy bears, actually sticky one are GOOD because you can "spice" up the reaction by rolling the sticky gummy bears in inorganic salts like SrCl2 or NaCl or KCl to get COLORS!

Interesting idea -- I should try that next time! The lavender colour from the KCl/KClO3 is so pronounced, I thought it would predominate.

Anyway, sorry for the late post, haven't visited in a while...

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »
I'm not sure why the KCl doesn't show its colors as well, burning just the gummy bears just gives white light and heat. SrCl2 works well, pink colors. I tried Cu salts and the green doesn't show up either. The energy generated is very high so I'm thinking the emissions are masked by the heat given off or the emissions are pushed toward the UV end? not sure but it is a fun demo!

Offline Intox

• Very New Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »
So im trying to do this as a school experiment, but my school doesnt have this substance on stock the closest i got was KCl, so i wondered if there was an alternative or perhaps a way to make it...?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
So im trying to do this as a school experiment, but my school doesnt have this substance on stock the closest i got was KCl, so i wondered if there was an alternative or perhaps a way to make it...?

Ask if they'll buy a tiny amount for you to experiment with.  This looks cool on youtube, but it is a little dangerous.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links