April 25, 2024, 10:44:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: BH3-THF Complex --> 1-Butanol Mechanism?  (Read 21885 times)

Offline nexisrocks

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
BH3-THF Complex --> 1-Butanol Mechanism?
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:45:14 PM »
I've been trying to determine the mechanism of the decomposition of the BH3-THF complex into 1-butanol.  This was my stab at it:

I'm really not sure if this is the proper mechanism.  I am fairly certain that most of my steps are accurate, just possibly not in the right order.  I also put a bond between the BH3 and THF, however I am also not sure if that is accurate.  I am not sure if the actually bond, or if they are just attracted to each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: BH3-THF Complex --> 1-Butanol Mechanism?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:56:25 AM »
Here's an interesting .pdf

http://www.basf.com/inorganics/pdfs/bulletins/BTHF.pdf

I would personally draw a concerted ring opening ring opening of THF. The decompostition of your BuOBH2 that you have drawn would actually give you (neutral) BH if you follow the arrows, which strikes me as decidely dodgy. If, as shown in the pdf, once you have formed BuOBH2 you then coordinate another THF and do the same as before you get (BuO)2BH and do it again you then get (BuO)3B.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: BH3-THF Complex --> 1-Butanol Mechanism?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:25:08 AM »
I doubt if this is a correct mechanism. BH3 easily reacts with a double bond. THF when heating can shightle decompose to 3-butenol, which can already react with BH3 giving H2B-CH2CH2CH2CH2OH, but oxidative decomposition of this compound leads to 1,4-butandiol
AWK

Sponsored Links