April 25, 2024, 12:37:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: battery rod material  (Read 8456 times)

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
battery rod material
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »
I took apart a battery so I could use the rods for some simple electrolysis (I was very careful and took all precautions 8)) I thought the rod would be made of carbon and thus would be black. But the material was a very light sky-blue color? Google did not provide much help. Anyone know what the material is?

Edit: It was a AA standard battery and i found the same material in the AAA size. I believe I have seen carbon rods in size D batteries

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: battery rod material
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
You have probably disassembled an alkaline battery.  As long ago as ten years ago, I found only alkaline batteries, even in D-cell size.  Back then only lantern batteries had carbon rods.  Carbon rods were more common when I first started dis-assembling batteries, 20 years ago.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline phillyj

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »
yes, these are alkaline batteries. If they are not carbon, what are they?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
I dunno, aluminum maybe?  As I recall, they were light.  But they were thin, could have been zinc, or steel?  Soft pencil leads make adequate carbon electrodes, if you need them.

Offline phillyj

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:30:57 PM »
i know about the graphite in pencils and they are good conductors but the carbon rods were much stronger. This will do fine though.
After scratching a layer off the rod, its metallic so it could be one of the metals you said above

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »
Try the lithium lantern batteries. I hear those have carbon rods in them. You can find sources and step by step instructions for disassembling them.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »
Be sure you do read about it first, wikipedia says lithium-ion batteries do use a carbon sponge anode, but they also use elemental lithium, and Co3+

Offline phillyj

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
i'm not sure i want to try to open anything with Li. Too risky but this metal is fine, the multimeter registered 3 ohms resistance. What are those carbon rods made of, other than carbon?

Sponsored Links