April 19, 2024, 09:49:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The earth is an electron...  (Read 32687 times)

Offline Inestyne

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
The earth is an electron...
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
searched google, but could not find anything...
So, with little information, let me tell you what I know, and why I came (or think) to believe that Earth is an electron.

I would love to tell you which element I think the milky way is, but unfortunately we do not know how many planets are in our galaxy. If we had 9 planets, we would be flourine, if we had 8, we would be Oxygen. But I just do not know.

But to the fun part!

Here is a look of our galaxy. Incase you did not know, the gravity of the sun is what keeps the planets in orbit. Without this gravity, the planets would just...fly away. Which is similar to an atom.

An atom looks like this..

The electrons revolve around the nucleus, which is made up of protons and neutrons (making it positive). The reason why the electrons stay in orbit is because opposites attract (electron + proton = love). So in a nutshell, the proton is kind of gravity.

I have also come to assume that the earth is moving in VERY slow time.

What if time was just moving very very slowly?

We have already stated that in 2012, we will be in a slightly different orbit.

What about after billions and billions and billions and billions of years, a diagram of past and current orbits looks like this

Maybe I am just a 16 year old dumbass who has only taken a months worth of chemistry

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: The earth is an electron...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
The Earth is an electron, sent to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Inestyne

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
The Earth is an electron, sent to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game.

Lol, thank you for butchering a 90's smashing pumpkins song.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:54:24 AM »
You're right.

Maybe I am just a 16 year old dumbass who has only taken a months worth of chemistry

Offline Inestyne

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »
I appreciate that.

Is there any relation to how anti-matter acts with how a planet turns into a black hole?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »
Planets don't turn into black holes, they are too small for that. Athough its is possible to calculate radius of black hole for any mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Maz

• Physics Bandit
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »

leave out that dumbass part, and I'd say that explains the problem. 

"So in a nutshell, the proton is kind of gravity"

Good job.  You have correctly noticed that planets orbiting the sun is similar to electrons orbiting the nucleus.  The reason for this similarity is due the the fact that the force of gravity is similar to the coulumb force (you may have heard it called the 'electric' force, or some such thing).

The force of gravity between two massive bodies is: (Gm1m2)/r^2
The coulumb(sp?) force between two charges is: kq1q2/r^2

G is the universal gravitational constant, and k is the coulumb constant.  q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the 2 charges and m1 and m2 are the magnitude of the two masses. r is the relative distances between the two bodies in both cases.

Since the forces are similar, so must be the behavior of objects interacting through them.  Remember though, that this is only the classical model for electrons going around in an atom; it is completely ignoring quantum mechanics (primary governing model) and relativity (much less influence).  Today we understand that this is totally wrong, but it remains a good model for explaining simple chemistry, electronics, and teaching 16 year olds. 

As far as the very last part of your post concerning after billions of years, what would our orbit look like...well, it is highly likely we wouldn't have an orbit, and would simply be a dead iceball hurtling towards the super-black hole in the center of the galaxy to return to our singularity roots.  There's obviously a lot of other stuff (like us getting eaten when the sun expands) that will more then likely stop that outcome from happening, but you'd have to check out a lot more physics before you understood it all. 

I mentioned these videos in one of my other posts, but you might find them fun too:

"Seeing is believing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1tgLQg4ZU

"The Big Bang"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZa7px6NtFY

"Cosmic Alchemy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qN1ZVccgQ

"On the Dark Side"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvozsmF5EBU

"Black Holes and Beyond"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSC3BMy23E

"Answer to Everything"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLprHMq4ZkM

Offline Inestyne

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »

"So in a nutshell, the proton is kind of gravity"

Good job.  You have correctly noticed that planets orbiting the sun is similar to electrons orbiting the nucleus.  The reason for this similarity is due the the fact that the force of gravity is similar to the coulumb force (you may have heard it called the 'electric' force, or some such thing).

The force of gravity between two massive bodies is: (Gm1m2)/r^2
The coulumb(sp?) force between two charges is: kq1q2/r^2

G is the universal gravitational constant, and k is the coulumb constant.  q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the 2 charges and m1 and m2 are the magnitude of the two masses. r is the relative distances between the two bodies in both cases.

Since the forces are similar, so must be the behavior of objects interacting through them.  Remember though, that this is only the classical model for electrons going around in an atom; it is completely ignoring quantum mechanics (primary governing model) and relativity (much less influence).  Today we understand that this is totally wrong, but it remains a good model for explaining simple chemistry, electronics, and teaching 16 year olds. 

As far as the very last part of your post concerning after billions of years, what would our orbit look like...well, it is highly likely we wouldn't have an orbit, and would simply be a dead iceball hurtling towards the super-black hole in the center of the galaxy to return to our singularity roots.  There's obviously a lot of other stuff (like us getting eaten when the sun expands) that will more then likely stop that outcome from happening, but you'd have to check out a lot more physics before you understood it all. 

I mentioned these videos in one of my other posts, but you might find them fun too:

"Seeing is believing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1tgLQg4ZU

"The Big Bang"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZa7px6NtFY

"Cosmic Alchemy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qN1ZVccgQ

"On the Dark Side"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvozsmF5EBU

"Black Holes and Beyond"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSC3BMy23E

"Answer to Everything"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLprHMq4ZkM

Thank you sooo much dude, I can not tell you how much I appreciate that. I have posted this in several forums, and this is BY FAR the best response yet. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
how much energy is released when an electron annihilates a positron?
how can we make use of that in lab?
and is this really measurable in lab?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »
The annihilation produces two 511 KeV gamma rays. I've measured it many times.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline BlooTsiE

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 10:13:32 PM »
I was 16, aswell, when I first started thinking about this. I'm now 17, and I've spent atleast 5% of my free time over the last 9 months thinking about this and all the different aspects to it. When I think of it, though, I add infinity to the equation. I started thinkin about the theory of relativity(before I knew it was an actual theory) by observing how ants move compared to the movements of say, and elephant. If you add infinity to this simple theory you get organisms that are moving faster than we can possibly imagine, and we are doing the same to something much greater than us, and it keeps going forever and ever. That means that in any one point, in any one partical on our planet there is possibly infinite life. I've also thought about how rare and lucky we are to have been able to sustain ourselves for so long. I like to compare man kind to mold. Mold is always there, but it needs time to be kick started. Every living organism in our universe has 3 definite qualities: It wants to survive, It uses resources within its grasp, and it gives off waste. Once there are no more resources to be used, there is nothing left but waste. One theory I've had for a while is that cancer is an organism that is moer advanced and smarter than we are. AND/OR we are possibly cancerous to something much greater. We have already looked to expand our reach as humans, and have been making baby steps over the last 50 years. Once we explore what we know as our universe, colonize more planets, and grow, it will start happening at a much accelerated pace. And once our universe is out of resources that are usable to us, we will look farther and strive to survive. Mold eventually gets air born because it's looking for more things to comsume.

Now i've been typing for a while and this is only about .05% of the stuff that i've been thinking about. I could easily write a book if I had the proper education, and I want my theories to be heard. I wish to talk to a professional in the general field of science. Perhaps a professor or some sort. I understand the basics of the way everything tangable works. And im to lazy to keep going unless I have real motivation. WOOHOOOOOO!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 03:37:50 AM »
if I had the proper education

That's the problem - obviously you have some interesting ideas (not necesarilly new, as at least some of them were voiced earlier) mixed with absurd ones. No professor will talk with you about these - they have more important things to do and they will treat you as a crackpot (you would be surprised how many people think they understand universe and everything, noyt knowing how to calculate sphere volume at the same time). At best you may discuss these ideas over beer with some college students.

Chem101, Phys101, Bio101, Math101 - that should be your starting point.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DarkLightA

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
I would love to tell you which element I think the milky way is, but unfortunately we do not know how many planets are in our galaxy. If we had 9 planets, we would be flourine, if we had 8, we would be Oxygen. But I just do not know.
Don't get solar system and galaxy mixed up.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
Anybody in favor of "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest??

megnetic

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:26 AM »

Thank you sooo much dude, I can not tell you how much I appreciate that. I have posted this in several forums, and this is BY FAR the best response yet. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

lots of quotes here.  all i want to say is lets not completely throw out this idea of the earth as an electron.  the planets could very well be much like probability fields as their orbits are not linear, but more like vortexes looping around the sun.  the reason we can trace their paths easier than electrons is because we are inside of them and observing them from a different angle.  the particles smaller than us are more difficult to observe but lock into place when we do observe them (thus observation manipulates the placement and perhaps even existence of matter).  I keep thinking about this idea myself, oscillating from considering it to be simplistic, to enlightening.

anyway, i could be totally wrong.  but i enjoy the contemplation and awe of this idea

Sponsored Links