April 29, 2024, 02:13:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentration estimation  (Read 4542 times)

Offline kapileshdubey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Concentration estimation
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:39:40 AM »
I have a mixture of three plant materials in fine powder form, i want to calculate the percentage of all the three materials in the mixture?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Concentration estimation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:57:57 AM »

Note thats the same answer as the one given to the question on  "Life, the Universe, and Everything".

In other words: the question is so ambiguous that any answer will do. Please elaborate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kapileshdubey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:57:57 AM »
I am having a powder, the only thing i know about it is that it is a mixture of three plants that are:
1/. Embelica officinalis
2/. Terminalia chebula
3/. Terminalia belerica
Now i want to know how could i estimate the ratio of each one in that mixture.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 08:08:54 AM »
Much better now :)

But it is still pretty tough question. The only reasonable approach I can think off requires knowledge about each dried herb composition; then analysis of mixture can give enough information to find out amounts of components.

Could be that if the powder is not too fine and parts of the plants can be relatively easy distinguished Cinderella approach with magnifying glass and tweezers will be the best solution in terms of cost - separating on thousand 1 mg particles can be done in an hour or two and you have to pay for relatively easy work; full blown chemical analysis can take many hours and sophisticated apparatus.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »
You could take a sample, and perform quantitative PCR using three sets of primers, each one specific for DNA from one of the the species in question.  Comparing the numbers from the three qPCR reactions should give you a rough estimate of the composition of the mixture.

Sponsored Links