April 17, 2024, 09:49:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Another thermochemistry problem that I need help on plz!  (Read 3176 times)

Offline 12871287

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Another thermochemistry problem that I need help on plz!
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
When glucose, a sugar, reacts fully with oxygen, carbon dioxide and water are produced:
C6H12O6(s) + 6O2(g) → 6CO2(g) + 6H2O(g) ΔH° = -2820 kJ
Suppose a person weighing 109 kg (mostly water, with specific heat capacity 4.18 J K-1 g-1) eats a candy bar containing 16.9 g glucose. If all the glucose reacted with oxygen and the heat produced were used entirely to increase the person's body temperature, what temperature increase would result? (In fact, most of the heat produced is lost to the surroundings before such a temperature increase occurs.)

What I did was multiplied the DH with moles in 16.9 grams of glucose and set that equal to negative (weight of person) multiplied by (specific heat). I was hoping that I left me with the right DT but it didn't.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Another thermochemistry problem that I need help on plz!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:56:27 AM »
In general your approach was correct, most likely you did some math error (units? kg -> g conversion?). Show your workings so that someone can check it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links