March 29, 2024, 03:25:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Equation between citric acid and baking soda  (Read 18664 times)

Offline fooballer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Chemical Equation between citric acid and baking soda
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »
Hey I've been doing a chemistry lab in school, and I have to figure out the balanced chemical reaction between these two compounds.

Any idea?

C6H8O7 + NaHCO3 --> ?

I'm not sure, but i'm guessing it is a neutralization reaction, so water would be one of the products, but im not too sure.  Anything would be helpful, thanks.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Chemical Equation between citric acid and baking soda
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:21 PM »
You are right about it being a neutralization reaction (acid-base reaction). I don't how much you know about chemistry so I'm sorry if I include information you know.

It's easier to see what's going on when citric acid is written out like this:
C3H5O(COOH)3
As you can see there are 3 carboxylic groups. I don't know how far you are into chemistry, but a compound that has a carboxylic group is an acid. The carboxylic group (-COOH) will lose it's H atom to form H+ (or H3O+ whichever you prefer) and -COO-.
R(COOH) --> R(COO-) + H+

R only means some carbon chain is attached.

Citric acid has 3 carboxylic groups. It is a polyprotic acid, and to be specific it produces a maximum of 3 H+ (or H3O+).

Sodium hydrogen carbonate (NaHCO3) ionizes into Na+ and HCO3-. The HCO3- group is basic.

With this information try to figure out your products. Post the new equation, and I or someone else will tell if you are correct.

[Edit] I wasn't paying attention and put HCOO3 instead of HCO3.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:57:39 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:34:41 AM »
Sodium hydrogen carbonate (NaHCOO3) ionizes into Na+ and HCOO3-. The HCOO3- group is basic.

HCOO3 should be HCO3.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »
Sodium hydrogen carbonate (NaHCOO3) ionizes into Na+ and HCOO3-. The HCOO3- group is basic.

HCOO3 should be HCO3.

Woops good catch. I wasn't paying attention; I was too used to typing COOH.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links