April 28, 2024, 04:50:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quick Qs on Oxydative Phosphorlyation  (Read 9880 times)

Offline prasin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Quick Qs on Oxydative Phosphorlyation
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:39:20 AM »
Hello all-- I've got a couple of questions that I'm confused about...

If you're counting the NET molecules of ATP gained only from the substrate-level phosphorylation from ONE molecule of glucose (This is Aerobic), would you say it's 4 or 2?? I'm thinking 2 because you lose 2 but it does produce 4 right?

Also, a hw question asks about which is NOT true of oxidative phosphorylation? I know it does involve redox reactions of the electron transport chain, it depends on chemiosmosis, it produces approx 3 ATP per NADH oxydized. But I'm not sure about oxidative phosphorylation using oxygen as the initial electron donor.. or oxidative phosphorylation involving in ATP synthase located in the inner mitochondrial membrane.

Thanks.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Quick Qs on Oxydative Phosphorlyation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 01:54:40 PM »
Hello all-- I've got a couple of questions that I'm confused about...

If you're counting the NET molecules of ATP gained only from the substrate-level phosphorylation from ONE molecule of glucose (This is Aerobic), would you say it's 4 or 2?? I'm thinking 2 because you lose 2 but it does produce 4 right?

Yes.  You gain 4 molecules of ATP from glycolysis but the NET gain is only 2 because of the 2 molecules of ATP lost in the first steps of glycolysis.

Also, a hw question asks about which is NOT true of oxidative phosphorylation? I know it does involve redox reactions of the electron transport chain, it depends on chemiosmosis, it produces approx 3 ATP per NADH oxydized. But I'm not sure about oxidative phosphorylation using oxygen as the initial electron donor.. or oxidative phosphorylation involving in ATP synthase located in the inner mitochondrial membrane.

You are on the right track so far.  This page may be of some help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_transport_chain

Offline prasin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
Thank you for the reply. So this is what I found from the link...

"In oxidative phosphorylation, electrons are transferred from a high-energy electron donor (e.g., NADH) to an electron acceptor (e.g., O2) through an electron transport chain."

So, I'm guessing "oxidative phosphorylation uses oxygen as the initial electron donor" is NOT TRUE?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 09:08:21 PM »
Correct.  Oxygen is the final electron acceptor in the electron transport chain.

Sponsored Links