April 25, 2024, 02:28:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water as an acid  (Read 11622 times)

Offline dirt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Water as an acid
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »
So the acid is acting, in absence of a base, to raise the pH of the final solution.
If this is true, then the "Acid raises H+ concentration" definition cannot apply?
What is the main difference between this and my original 'water plus sodium' equation?
    Is it that in the case of the sulfuric acid and sodium, the pH rises to a neutral level whilst the pH of the water and sodium case rises to a basic level?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:44:04 AM by dirt »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 07:49:51 AM »
So the acid is acting, in absence of a base, to raise the pH of the final solution.
If this is true, then the "Acid raises H+ concentration" definition cannot apply?
What is the main difference between this and my original 'water plus sodium' equation?
    Is it that in the case of the sulfuric acid and sodium, the pH rises to a neutral level whilst the pH of the water and sodium case rises to a basic level?
Acid always lowers pH
AWK

Offline dirt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »
'AWK', your post offers no insight on the topic. maybe the acid doesnt cause the pH to rise but overall pH will be higher in the situation before (sodium plus sulfuric acid solution). So what is the difference between this and my 'water plus sodium' problem?

Sponsored Links