Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ASPARTAME!  (Read 11615 times)

Offline nmitsthefish

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ASPARTAME!
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:26:23 AM »
Hi,

I happen to react to aspartame, it gives me headaches.  But at the same time I would like to be able to drink beverage and eat foods that contain it.  Is there any way to purify the items of the aspartame.  Maybe like break it down, change it chemically, or remove it completely.  I was reading that it breaks down at high temps so I was thinking of just boiling the liquids but that would probably change some of the other ingredients chemically as well... Also, changing the pH is said to break it down but I would have no idea how to do that anyway..  some info is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame but hey, it may be impossible I have no idea, any input is appreciated.

-nick

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: ASPARTAME!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:40:06 AM »
Aspartame used in food is very pure. Some people using aspartame have headache or stomachache.
AWK

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Take some advil after the meal. :P
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »
what kind of beverages? do you know for sure that it is aspartame that gives you headaches?
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:45:54 PM »
Aspartame is the methyl ester of a dipeptide, which is a very simple protein.   heating "cooks" it, and therefore, it  is no longer aspartame, and will no longer "trick" primate taste buds into "thinking" they're eating something sweet.  So heating it is not the solution to your problem.  Like I said the molecule is quite simple, so any significant chemical change will ruin its usefulness.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:03:27 AM »
Aspartame is the methyl ester of a dipeptide, which is a very simple protein.
I disagree. Small protein contains at least about 50 aminoacid residues
AWK

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:50:38 AM »
My guess is that you are very sensitive to the methanol that is produced in your stomach. No one should use aspartame.  It's the equivalent of drinking methanol. Methanol poisoning is very similar to muscular dystrophy. I would suggest foregoing any usage of this chemical. THe headaches are a sign that your body can't process the aspartame. Eat real sugar, exercise, and moderate your diet and you won't need to poison yourself. To answer your question, I don't know that there is any way to remove the aspartame. Use other products.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:45:03 PM »

I am not aware of a particular residue cutoff for the names, peptide and protein.  My point was that the basic concepts that surround protein chemistry apply to dipeptides, oligopeptide neurotansmitters, etc.

My guess is that you are very sensitive to the methanol that is produced in your stomach. No one should use aspartame.  It's the equivalent of drinking methanol. Methanol poisoning is very similar to muscular dystrophy. I would suggest foregoing any usage of this chemical. THe headaches are a sign that your body can't process the aspartame. Eat real sugar, exercise, and moderate your diet and you won't need to poison yourself. To answer your question, I don't know that there is any way to remove the aspartame. Use other products.

Many of the statements made here are not well supported by peer reviewed research.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »

I am not aware of a particular residue cutoff for the names, peptide and protein.  My point was that the basic concepts that surround protein chemistry apply to dipeptides, oligopeptide neurotansmitters, etc.

Many of the statements made here are not well supported by peer reviewed research.

that is correct, it is my opinion. Have you tried to find any similar products that use splenda as a sugar substitute?

Sponsored Links