April 29, 2024, 05:23:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A selective removal of N-Boc by K2CO3/MeOH  (Read 9608 times)

Offline g_orbital

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm a mole!
A selective removal of N-Boc by K2CO3/MeOH
« on: October 22, 2007, 05:11:23 AM »
Hi,

The following rxn (taken from Tetrahedron 2007, 63, 8499-8513) utilizes potassium carbonate in methanol for selective removal of N-Boc protecting group from the oxindole nitrogen. My question is: How could this selectivity be achieved, that the other N-Boc (of the oxazoline ring) remains unreacted? I understand that some electronic factors play cruical role here, but I fail to figure out how. Also, What is the mechanism of this interesting Boc-cleavage?

I'll appreciate your kind assistance.
Thank you very much indeed!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline g_orbital

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm a mole!
Re: A selective removal of N-Boc by K2CO3/MeOH
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
First of all, thank you AWK for the article! :)
Although the authors made use of another mild base (cesium carbonate, with imidazole in acetonitrile), it seems that this method works in the same manner. I also found another article (JOC 2003, 68, 743-746) which deals with LiBr or Mg(ClO4)2 in acetonitrile for that purpose.

However, the fundamental question remains unanswered: what are the electronic reasons responsible for this reactivity difference, i.e. why is only this N-acetylcarbamate (the oxyindole nitrogen) affected, while the oxazoline N-Boc is not cleaved?

Thanks again!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: A selective removal of N-Boc by K2CO3/MeOH
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
Did you note in my link BOC group close to carbonyl group is removed easily and this is explained in this link.
AWK

Sponsored Links