April 28, 2024, 02:31:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neat little density example.  (Read 8092 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Neat little density example.
« on: January 28, 2005, 07:44:40 PM »
My iridium button arrived today so I was finally able to take a picture of it.  (Soon I'll be able to take a real good picture of it and update the Periodic Table with it).  After taking it out of the packaging I was AMAZED at how dense it is.  This is incredible.  I am so happy to finally have over one troy ounce of 99.98% pure Ir metal.  Thank god for football pools.   ;D  Anyway, when I took a quick picture of it I put a one troy ounce silver coin right next to it.  The thickness of the two items are vitually identical, and the Ir is maybe 1-2 mm thicker at the high spot.  The Ir weighs 35 grams and the Ag weighs 31 grams (maybe 32 with the holder included).  As you can see, the Ir is MUCH smaller than the Ag is.  Simply amazing.  Also, in the bigger size it's a bit easier to see the yellow tinge that Ir has.  When I put the Ir near the Os and Pd samples I have, the blueness of the Os really shines, the yellow tinge the Ir has shows through, and the blazingly whiteness of the Pd shows itself.  THIS is why I collect the elements.  ;D

"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Neat little density example.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »
That's a beautiful sample you have there.

Is palladium really white?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 08:32:37 PM »
Pretty much.  I had always heard the term 'white-metal' before but never really paid much attention to it.  However, if you have a nice chunk of palladium and put it near a sample of something like silver or tin, the palladium just appears much brighter and 'whiter' than the other metals.  It's kind of hard to explain.  Platinum and rhodium are nice and 'white' as well too.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 08:39:39 PM »
That's interesting.  I work on a lot of palladium catalysis and we often see elemental palladium precipitate out of failed reactions.  It always appears as either a dark black powder (like ash) or as a shiny film on the sides of the vial or flask, the so-called "palladium mirror."  The mirror is certainly nice to look at, but of course it usually means your reaction failed.

Do you keep your palladium in an inert atmosphere all the time?  We have a fair amount of trouble when we use palladium(0) sources in the air since they oxidize pretty readily to palladium(II).

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 10:03:41 PM »
Jdurg: Nice sample. ;)

movies: Our Palladium reaction junk might be an other allotrope of Pd.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 10:05:27 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 10:30:15 PM »
My Pd is sealed inside of the assay card it came in, so I'm not sure if that atmosphere is "inert".  When you have any metal ppt-ing out of solution, it will always appear much different than the bulk metal does.  Take gold for example.  When gold is precipitated out of solution during the refining process, it's a dark brown/purple/black sludge that looks nothing like the gold we all know and love.  This is because of the very small particle size and how it is optically different than the bulk metal.  

Sponsored Links