April 28, 2024, 07:58:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Soap formal lab help  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Telmob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Soap formal lab help
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:53:41 PM »
Hey guys,

So pretty much, in my grade 12 chemistry calss we have to do a formal lab on soap, weve made it and done several tests to compare it to commercial soap such as 'dove'.

Ive been doing research for the last few days but i cant seem to find much about a few things and maybe some of you could help me out, give me a link or just lead me in the right direction in general.

So pretty much, in our lab, we have to explain WHY we conducted the specific tests. i know why we conducted the pH test (duh) but i dont know why we we did these two.

test#2:
Dissolve 1g of the soap in 20ml of water. divide the solution into 3 portions. to one, add a few drops of calcium chloride. to the second, a few drops of magnesium chloride and to the third, a few drops of iron(iii) chloride solution.

test#3:
dissolve a few flakes of your soap in 15ml of water. add ten drops of hydrochloric acid.

I tested both my soap and the commercial soap and had similar observations, but i dont know WHY i did these tests?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your future help :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Soap formal lab help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:59:18 AM »
What were your observations? Was there any precipitate? If there was any - would you like to see it on your skin?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline echonet

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Soap formal lab help
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »
Just for fun, put a bar of soap in the microwave... Record your observations :O

Sponsored Links