April 27, 2024, 02:36:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Triclosan Worries  (Read 2699 times)

Offline twilitemoon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Triclosan Worries
« on: October 27, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but I am hoping that someone can help me. My showerhead had this pink film on it, which I was informed was a common airborne bacteria that can be potentially pathogenic. Since I am pregnant, I became rather upset and wanted to get rid of the pink stain right away. I didn't want to use the bleach that was suggested to me, so I used what else was suggested to me -- antibacterial soap. I don't use this soap normally, but I did on the showerhead, about two large pumps. I know that some of the soap went into the holes in the showerhead, which is plastic. Afterwards, I didn't think to run the showerhead to rid of any of the soap until the next day. I am really worried that the triclosan could have embedded itself into the plastic and that I'll be showering in triclosan. Since I am pregnant, I am seriously worried because triclosan has been linked to birth defects. I just need to know whether or not running the water will get rid of the triclosan, or if I have to buy a new showerhead. If anyone could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am just nervous for my baby and I need to know if showering for now is safe. Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Triclosan Worries
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 05:03:08 PM »
IMHO running the water will do the trick - especially taking into account possible amount of triclosan, fact that you are not going to drink this water and so on. My take is that you are on the safe side even now. Running hot water for 5 minutes should help calm you down - don't worry, it'll be OK  :D
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links