March 28, 2024, 08:32:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nickel Plating Brightners  (Read 24691 times)

Offline Zafar Mahmud

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nickel Plating Brightners
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:47:52 AM »
 Hi Guys!
      I want to know some home made formula for nickel electroplating brighteners.I am not interested in propriety formulation.The chemicals used should not be complex.
I want some chemicals which are easily available in every country.

Thanks
Zafar

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Nickel Plating Brightners
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 02:26:23 AM »
"Saccharin" ---which is a very old formula for bright nikel plating.

Please try. ;D

Offline dionl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Nickel Plating Brightners and also acid copper plating brighteners
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:24:06 AM »

Please try. ;D

Can you help me about brightener formula used in acid copper plating (plating plastics!!!!)

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
Dinol,

Sorry, I totally forgot the electroplating and I remember that we need to add three kinds of chemicals to the plating bath and one of the chemical is organic sulphur compound for covering.
I search from Google and get the following information:

"Detailed Product Description
M (2-meracapto-benzimidazole) Chemical name: 2-meracapto-benzimidazole Molecular formula: C7H6N2S CA No. 583-39-1 Appearance White crystal Assay >= 95% Melting Point ( C) 303-304 Level of addition 0.6-1.0 mg/l Application:     It is soluble in alkaline solution, M is used as brightener for copper plating, which can brighten and level the deposit. Furthermore, it can improve working current density."

"A little ambiguity? Are you talking about a brightener additive for an acid copper plating bath or an acid dip to brighten parts made of copper?
Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating - Albuquerque, NM, USA

Have you tried thiourea? Use it sparingly. Be very careful, this thing will give you pancreatic cancer and damage your bones.
Alfonso Hernandez
- Aurora, CO, U.S.A."

Offline dionl

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 02:59:32 AM »
Dinol,

Sorry, I totally forgot the electroplating and I remember that we need to add three kinds of chemicals to the plating bath and one of the chemical is organic sulphur compound for covering.

M (2-meracapto-benzimidazole) Chemical name: 2-meracapto-benzimidazole Molecular formula: C7H6N2S CA No. 583-39-1 Appearance White crystal Assay >= 95% Melting Point ( C) 303-304 Level of addition 0.6-1.0 mg/l Application:     It is soluble in alkaline solution, M is used as brightener for copper plating, which can brighten and level the deposit. Furthermore, it can improve working current density."

"A little ambiguity? Are you talking about a brightener additive for an acid copper plating bath or an acid dip to brighten parts made of copper?
Neil Bell

Have you tried thiourea? Use it sparingly. Be very careful, this thing will give you pancreatic cancer and damage your bones.
Alfonso Hernandez
- Aurora, CO, U.S.A."

kevins ,,, thank you for the information, I will try  it :D

Offline dionl

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:23:30 AM »
Dinol,

Neil Bell

Alfonso Hernandez
- Aurora, CO, U.S.A."

Hi again Kevins :-\, i understand the chemicals sodium sulfur and 2-mercaptobenzimidazole for acid copper brightener, you said 3 chemicals what is third one do you know? than i will try this solution in the laboratory and will say what happened..

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:22:56 AM »
Please find attached contains some useful information for bright copper plating.
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2007126453&IA=WO2007126453&DISPLAY=DESC

Offline dionl

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:58:51 AM »

Please try. ;D

How is saccharin used ? is it sodium saccharin and what is the old formula :P

Sponsored Links