April 29, 2024, 04:38:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me pick a synthesis project  (Read 6892 times)

ORGOsmic

Help me pick a synthesis project
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:36:04 PM »
I need to make a organic synthesis and am getting stuck for ideas.  Here are the parameters:  2-step reaction, inexpensive ($1/g), easy to moderate difficulty level (we have 7 weeks, one lab/week to do it) synthesis.  Any ideas are appreciated :)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Help me pick a synthesis project
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »
Do you just need to find a reaction to do, or are you looking for a particular molecule to make?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:10:55 PM »
Pick a general area there is so much. Do you want the reaction to include organometallics, natural products, what kind of Chemistry do you want to do, an oxidation/reduction, nucleophilic substitution/elimination?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

ORGOsmic

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 09:50:34 PM »
Do you just need to find a reaction to do, or are you looking for a particular molecule to make?

Basically any products or reactants are fine with me, although it needs to be a reaction that can be found in literature.  We will be studying all parts of the synthesis- from the mechanism to the percent yield of the final product.  This is for a sophmore organic class, so we want to keep all aspects of the synthesis pretty novice :)-  easily purifiable and stable product(s) and intermediate.

Pick a general area there is so much. Do you want the reaction to include organometallics, natural products, what kind of Chemistry do you want to do, an oxidation/reduction, nucleophilic substitution/elimination?

Let's see if I can narrow it down enough.
Small molecules, less than 25 C's (which throws out a some protiens, complex carbs, etc...)
Diels-Alder, SN2, E2, Grignard and addition of Hydrogen or alkyl Halides to anything are reactions we have studied and would be best for us.

Please ask me if you need further specifications.  Thanks

pete

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 01:30:36 AM »
if you want a simple synthesis without using heat expensive chemicals try nitration of toluene and put the ortho as the dominant wing,if you need more imform.let me know.

ORGOsmic

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 08:58:51 PM »
Sounds good.  What do you mean by "put the ortho as the dominant wing"

Sponsored Links