March 29, 2024, 10:11:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: time space  (Read 6265 times)

James

time space
« on: January 31, 2005, 11:53:22 PM »
How is it possible to travel faster than thespeed of light?  Many scientist say that travel faster than light is impossible in normal space time.  Some say that it may be possible to travel at speeds greater than light through something called a warp.  Please explain this term "warp" to me and how might just be possible and may someday help the human race trave to the stars and back in on piece and in a resonable time, let's say 20 years or less.  Considering light  is pure energy I do not see how it would be pssible to travel at speeds greater than light.  It would take energy to warp the universe, so how would it be possible to travel faster than light?
Thank you very much.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:time space
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 12:32:26 AM »
This question would be impossible to answer unless you have taken courses in general relativity. Suffice it to say specific relativity says you can't go faster then the speed of light, the equations from general relativity says you can. It's no big deal, and impossible to explain if you don't have the background.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:time space
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:26:02 AM »
Even if you have the background it can give you a headache trying to make sense of it all.  Quantum Theory and relativity has always been pretty simple for me to learn, but incredibly painful and frustrating to try and understand.   :P
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links