April 25, 2024, 11:40:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: FAAS Problems  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Dolphinsiu

• Mole Snacks: +3/-7
FAAS Problems
« on: October 29, 2007, 02:28:37 PM »
During the lecture, I get stuck when my friend asks me this question. Why there are still absorption peaks in drying and ashing step?

(What I only know is that drying step is to evaporate the solvent while ashing step is to remove the organics left in the sample!)

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
Re: FAAS Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:43 AM »
I think you want to know is the Non-Flame AAS problem not the Flame AAS. Am I right?

At the drying stage, the solvent molecules will block the light path and give the detector signal.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 06:35:15 PM »

Dear Dipndots,

You are right!,  - with your parenthesis you answered the own question as close as to nearly of 80%
The only thing you have additionally to point to is that both processes DON’T remove all the salts and other inorganic compounds from the residuals.
And as you may know you can best determine such “Atoms” (As, Cd, Pb, Sb, Se, Bi, Tl, Hg) and similars in this FAAS field 
(As you normally measure not the compounds, - in the flame “all” is atomised -, a prior removing is usually not required.)

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:45:25 PM »

Dear Dolphinsiu,

I BEG Your pardon!, I realised it not until I wrote the next answer, that I copied a wrong Name to your "Hello Line"!

I hope “for the future” you will anyway still listen to Dolphinsiu.

Sorry for my mistake.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Sponsored Links