April 28, 2024, 08:09:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vapor Pressure/Mole Fraction  (Read 5346 times)

BigJ9595

Vapor Pressure/Mole Fraction
« on: January 31, 2005, 03:45:54 PM »
The question is: A solution of NaCl in water has a vapor pressure of 20.7 torr at 25 deg. C.  what is the mole fraction of NaCl in this soultion?

I did tihs:
20.7 = (x) 23.8, solved for x, did 1 - x to get the mole fraction of solute not solvent, then divided by 2 becasue NaCL dissociates so the mole fraction of NaCl is half that of what it appears to be in the solution.

However, my answer is wrong so clearly something i just said is not right, and i have no idea which part.
Thanks

BigJ9595

Re:Vapor Pressure/Mole Fraction
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:27:58 PM »
The process i used turns out to be right, the problem was that the website i was submitting it to was using a differnt constant than we were given in the book.  

Sorry for any confusion.

rhino928

Re:Vapor Pressure
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:18:54 PM »
I am having trouble figuring out how to even get started on this problem.  I'm sure it's not as tough as I am making it out to be but here it is.

The following compounds, listed with their boiling points, are liquid @ -10 degrees C:  butane, -0.5 degrees C; ethanol, 78.3 degrees C; tolulene, 110.6 degrees C.  At -10 degrees C, which of these liquids would you expect to have the highest vapor pressure?  Which the lowest?  Explain.

Any help that can at least get me started in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Rhino

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 05:24:35 PM »
What is definition of boiling? How does boling relate to vapor pressure? How does vapor pressure changes with temperature?

Edit: Oh man, don't reuse old threads, post in a new one!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:25:51 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 05:34:07 PM »
The question is: A solution of NaCl in water has a vapor pressure of 20.7 torr at 25 deg. C.  what is the mole fraction of NaCl in this soultion?

I did tihs:
20.7 = (x) 23.8, solved for x, did 1 - x to get the mole fraction of solute not solvent, then divided by 2 becasue NaCL dissociates so the mole fraction of NaCl is half that of what it appears to be in the solution.

However, my answer is wrong so clearly something i just said is not right, and i have no idea which part.
Thanks

your approach on this problem is correct though and i get the same answer as you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:41:43 PM by sdekivit »

Sponsored Links