April 25, 2024, 03:38:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Redox Reaction Question  (Read 3536 times)

Grrr

Redox Reaction Question
« on: February 01, 2005, 03:38:04 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm performing a coulometric rxn in my chemistry class. For one of the electrodes (auxilary, reduction occuring here) we are placing the Pt electrode in a tube (fritted) filled w/ 1 M NaHCO3. I saw bubbles forming at this electrode. I think that these are H2 bubbles but my friend thinks that they are CO2 bubbles. I was wondering if anyone could help me out w/ this.

Looking at the oxidation numbers of H2 & CO2 it leads me to believe that they are H2 bubbles at the electrode. Thanks for you help.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 02:41:06 PM by Mitch »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Redox Reaction Question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:37:38 AM »
why dont u carry a qualitative analysis of the gas to see if it's CO2 or H2.

theoretically speaking, given it's a dilute solution, I would expect H+ to be discharged at the cathode because it's less stable than Na+. Hence H2 gas will be formed.

A bicarbonate solution is alkali in nature. bicarbonate hydrolyeses to produce hydroxide and carbonate ions. The hydroxide ions will be discharged at the anode to produce oxygen gas.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links