March 29, 2024, 08:19:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: iodazide  (Read 8202 times)

subar-tu

iodazide
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:43:46 AM »
Hi!

I got a big question! I can't make iodazide! But i wants to make a joke in the highschool! If you know how can i make this joke please help me!

Thanks ;)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:iodazide
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 09:57:28 AM »
So you want us to tell you how to make a high explosive so you can use it as a joke?  I'm sorry, but this is not the type of site that will do that for you.  All I'm going to tell you is that unless you have the knowledge and experience with working with that stuff it would be wise to avoid doing so.  If you want to take the time and search the web for the information and make sure that the facts and steps you're given are proper and safe, then go ahead and do so.  But we will not tell you how to make that stuff here.  Sorry.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

subar-tu

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 02:33:18 PM »
No problem if that thats dangerous. I hear if you store that in water its not. But oky.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 03:14:21 PM »
It is quite dangerous.  The problem is, it never gets the respect it deserves.  (For those who don't know what iodazide is, it's simply another name for Nitrogen Triiodide or Ammonium triiodide.  It's an iodine/nitrogen compound that is INCREDIBLY unstable).  Iodazide can be stable under water, but that doesn't mean it won't explode.  It can still detonate under water if given the right motivation.  (You just need a good deal of motivation).  The problem is that when it dries you have no control over when it explodes.  If you were to make too much of it you could really hurt someone if it goes off when you didn't want it to.  Also, the compound is classified as a high explosive due to the way in which it detonates.  (It's just not used in the same sense as other high explosives because you have no control over the detonation of it).  The power of the explosion also increase dramatically as the sample size increases.  It's similar to the situation with throwing sodium or potassium in water.  People see small chunks being thrown in and think it would be neat to see a HUGE chunk thrown in water.  They then throw a big piece in water and fail to realize that the power of the reaction increases at an incredible rate as the size of the chunk goes up.  Many people have gotten hurt when they throw too big a piece into some water.  The same thing happens with iodazide.  People see a little bit go off and think 'wow, that's cool.  I bet a huge pile would be neat to see'.  They then proceed to make a bigger pile which results in a much bigger explosion than they anticipate and people/property get hurt.  (At my University one of the kids had to go to the hospital because he made some iodazide in his dorm room and set it by the window.  A bug or something hit the dry pile causing it to explode and blowing the window out of the dorm.  Not only was he hurt by the flying debris, but he had to pay for the window to get replaced and was kicked out of the school.  The pile was about the size of a mini-disc).  

Another thing people fail to realize is that the detonation products of the reaction result in iodine vapor being thrown in the air.  Iodine is a corrosive, reactive element.  Inhaling that vapor can cause severe lung problems and damage many things in the area.  I'm glad that you understand this and have decided against this 'joke'.  If you really want to see it done, ask you chemistry teacher if he/she would demonstrate it for you, or if you could make a tiny amount with their supervision.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

subar-tu

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:17:18 PM »
Yes, i think i'll talk to my teacher. Thats a good idea.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 01:47:24 PM »
Jdurg--
  That's an excellent reply and a great description of the compound.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:07:37 PM »
Jdurg--
  That's an excellent reply and a great description of the compound.

Thanks.  'Iodazide' is a major reason for why I like chemistry.  I first heard about the compound while watching the cheesy 1980's movie 'The Manhattan Project'.  I really didn't think it actually existed until I read about it on the internet.  I then did my research on it and asked my chemistry teacher about it.  (Of course she said 'No' and would only show a video of it and not let me make it).  Since I wanted to make it, I knew I had to find the iodine.  That's where e-bay came into things and that's really the starting point for my element collection.  I think it's an incredibly intriguing compound due to how a lot of information about it is still not known.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »
I hadn't ever read it being called by the term iodazide before, god, brings back memories, I haven't done that reaction in years.

I am debating wether to sacrifice a few mg of my precious resublimed iodine just to see it in action again, I only have 50g at the moment, almost all of it reserved for a certain reaction with red P ;)

I might try this again, actually, and just pick out the smallest flake of I2 I have in the vial it came in, just for fun :)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links