April 27, 2024, 04:36:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trip To New Hampshire Completed.  (Read 4186 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Trip To New Hampshire Completed.
« on: August 21, 2005, 09:40:05 PM »
WOW what a trip.   ;D  My legs are downright killing me right now from climbing that mountain.  I climbed Mount Monadnock which is Southwestern New Hampshire and is about 3,200 feet in elevation.  While out there, I also had some fun with some sodium metal by throwing numerous 10-15 gram logs of it into the gigantic lake our cabin was on.  Good lord that stuff is loud when it explodes, and the mushroom cloud it generates is amazing looking.  I've got all the pictures uploaded and linked to in a thread on a baseball forum I've been visiting for a good 8 years now.  Hopefully it doesn't strain the server too much Mitch.  If it is putting a big load on our bandwidth, just let me know and when my one friend gets his account running I can host the files there.  Anyway, below are the links to the four threads I made with those pictures in there.  If you can't view the threads, then you'll probably need to register at the site.  I know it's a pain, but it's a big pain in the ass for me trying to re-type everything.  ;D

The Cabin.

The Lake.

The Mountainside.

The Summit.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Trip To New Hampshire Completed.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 10:01:48 PM »
Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

we must register in order to view the pictures  :-\

i want to see the sodium explosion. Is it included in the "Lake" photos?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Trip To New Hampshire Completed.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »
Yeah.  I can just directly link those here.

View of the daytime sodium explosion.  Shook the deck I was standing on so the image is pretty blurry.  After the explosion happened, a classic mushroom cloud formed over where the chunk landed.  I initially thought it was a 10 gram chunk, but after calculating the mass based on the size, these logs were about 28-29 grams in mass!   :o

It's very difficult to get a good photograph of a sodium explosion because you never really know when it's going to explode.  We tried quite a few times to get a good shot, but this is all we could get.  (I was only able to get the tail end of the explosion when the fragments that came back down began reacting to the water).  :-[
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links