April 28, 2024, 09:34:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Chemical  (Read 3131 times)

Offline hopeful

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need Chemical
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »
I am working on a project where i have to drop an egg into a container and have the egg remain intact. I have come up with the idea to fill the container with various liquids so that they form various layers that would gradualy slow the egg down until the egg comes to the bottom of the container where a cushion of sorts will take the remaining energy away. The only problem with this is that I have not been able to come up with any liquids that are more viscous and dense then water (which ill be useing for my top layer) that will not mix with the water through repeated drops.

If anyone knows any materials or chemicals that fit my needs please say so.

Thank you

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Need Chemical
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:35:20 PM »

Dear Hopeful,

At least in my opinion you try to do it the wrong way around and with a mistake!

At the moment when the egg will hit the top surface it has also its top speed. But in my opinion exactly at this moment you need the liquid with lowest density and viscosity to generate not to much resistance for the egg, otherwise it may break already there.
Now you can used other solvent layers with increasing density to decelerate the egg enough.

In my first Idea to make it not too dangers and too toxic I would try the following three layers from the top:  Heptane or Octane  /  Water   /  15% Methyl-Cellulose. The disadvantage of this would be, that the 15% Methyl-Cellulose layer is not a clear visible layer and that you have to be carefully when you over-layer it with the water.
In case that even Heptane would be to density you may use the little more danger Hexane instead.

I hope it may be of help to you.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Need Chemical
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:00:57 AM »
Very interesting approach to what is typically solved with various solid cushioning type contraptions.  You'll have to let us know how it works out.  I'm interested to see the results.

Sponsored Links