March 28, 2024, 01:50:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Diatomic elements as gases at room temperature  (Read 16587 times)

Offline Atome

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
Diatomic elements as gases at room temperature
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:06:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

1. Diatomic elements (such as oxygen, nitrogen, and chlorine) tend to exist a room temperature as gases. Explain why this is true using your understanding of bonding.

I am having trouble answering this question. I know that diatomic elements merely consist of covalent bonds between certain nonmetals.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Diatomic elements as gases at room temperature
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »
Think about the forces that hold solids/liquids together. (dipole-dipole, dispersion forces, etc.)

Also consider the trend of melting temperatures for covalent and ionic compounds. Which type tends to have a higher melting point?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Atome

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:55:33 PM »
Thanks for your reply, constant thinker.

In gases, the intermolecular force is rather weak because gas particles are freer than liquid and solid particles. Covalent compounds would have a lower melting point.

Would the answer be because the intermolecular forces of diatomic molecules are too weak so diatomic molecules are gases at room temperature?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
That answer sounds fine for a High School course.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links