April 26, 2024, 04:45:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PIGMENT YELLOW 101  (Read 6529 times)

mathews.kerala

PIGMENT YELLOW 101
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:55:16 AM »
hi all,
im new to this forum.

Im mathews jose from india
here anyone got the synthetic method for PIGMENT YELLOW 101. Its the aldazine of
2-hydroxynaphthaldehyde
. i want to start with 2-naphthol and get the compound

Email me to mathews.kerala@gmail.com or post here

mathews.kerala

Re:PIGMENT YELLOW 101
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:03:10 AM »
2-naphthol can be converted to 2-hydroxynaphthaldehyde by RT reaction. (using sodiun hydroxide and chloroform ) and can be condensed with hydrazine hydrate to get pigment yellow 101.

the yiels for 1st step is 45% (very low) and for 2nd step is 98%.

can i inprove the yield for 1st step by any methos? got any diiferent root for the synthesis of aldehyde?

mail me or post in forum plssss

mathews.kerala

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 05:24:56 AM »
RT REACTION
In a 2-l. three-necked round-bottomed flask  fitted with a 40-in. reflux condenser, a mercury-sealed stirrer, and a dropping funnel are placed 100 g. (0.69 mole) of ?-naphthol and 300 g. of 95% ethanol. The stirrer is started, and a solution of 200 g. (5 moles) of sodium hydroxide in 415 g. of water is rapidly added. The resulting solution is heated to 70–80° on a steam bath, and the dropwise addition of chloroform is started. After the reaction begins, further heating is unnecessary. A total of 131 g. (1.1 moles) of chloroform is added at such a rate that gentle refluxing is maintained. Near the end of the addition the sodium salt of the phenolic aldehyde separates. Stirring is continued for 1 hour after all the chloroform has been added.The ethanol and excess chloroform are removed by distillation from a steam bath. Hydrochloric acid (sp. gr. 1.18) is added dropwise to the residue, with good stirring, until the contents of the flask are acid to Congo red paper. The dark oil that separates is mixed with a considerable amount of sodium chloride. Sufficient water to dissolve the salt is added, and the oil is separated and washed several times with hot water. By distillation of the oil under reduced pressure there is obtained 87.5–93.7 g. of a slightly colored distillate which boils at 163–166° at 8 mm. (Note 5) and which solidifies on cooling. Recrystallization of the solid from 75 ml. of ethanol yields 45.2–57.5 g. (38–48%) of pure 2-hydroxy-1-naphthaldehyde, melting at 79–80°.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »
What is the literature yield? is it 48%?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links