April 25, 2024, 05:01:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ratio of Actual Pt metal (NH4)2PtCl6 ppt.  (Read 9222 times)

Offline WorkingWithPGMs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ratio of Actual Pt metal (NH4)2PtCl6 ppt.
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »
Hi. I'm a shade tree, practical chemistry user based on what others have showed me how to do who have the MS and PhDs over the years in this field.

I have hunted high and low to try to find on my own, both Googling for some chart, or locating some chart I could understand from my thick volume of 71st edition CRC for the answer to my "how much Pt is in my PPT" ratio question.

My goal is to reduce costs of NH 4 Cl I use, thereby increasing my recycling profits instead of just dissolving NH 4 Cl  in my DiH2O and adding until I do not observe any more ppt occurring.

I believe there is probably an appropriate ratio of Pt in (NH4)2PtCl6 mathematically available in the filtered solid fraction, which I have harvested from chloro-nitric solution.

Offline shelanachium

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-0
Re: Ratio of Actual Pt metal (NH4)2PtCl6 ppt.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:11:54 AM »
What? You're worried about the cost of NH4Cl when recycling PLATINUM? Do I get you right? The proportion of Pt in (NH4)2PtCl6 is easy to calculate.

First, formula weight of (NH4)2PtCl6 = N2H8PtCl6, add up atomic weights:

N=14, two N's = 28.
H=1, 8H's = 8
Pt = 195.1
Cl = 35.5, 6 Cl's = 213

Total formula weight of (NH4)2PtCl6 = 444.1

Of which Pt is 195.1. Divide this by 444.1 to get the proportion of platinum by weight:

195.1/444.1 = .44 very nearly or 44% Pt by weight.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:05:39 AM »
Using Ksp do calculations for dependence of an excess NH4Cl (times price) with concentration of chloroplatinate (times price) leaved in the solutions. From the curve: [cost of NH4Cl - value of chloroplatinate lost] you can find point in which both costs are the same (if any)
AWK

Offline WorkingWithPGMs

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »
What? You're worried about the cost of NH4Cl when recycling PLATINUM? Do I get you right?.

Thank you for your explanation, Shelanachium.  Yes, that is what I was hoping to learn.  I appreciate you explaining it so well.  I've never understood why all the numbers on the periodic table were necessary.  And you have unraveled for me the usefulness of what I now see are the atomic mass numbers and one way they can be used.  I'm grateful.

To address your question, I don't know that "worried" is a word I would have chosen.  I see from your profile, you are from the UK.  I am under the notion that chemical acquisition here in the colonies is much more restricted than chemical acquisition in the Motherland.  That is one many reasons I am interested in keeping my chemical costs low.

Again, I appreciate your lucid and prompt response.  Thank you.

Offline WorkingWithPGMs

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
Using Ksp do calculations for dependence of an excess NH4Cl (times price) with concentration of chloroplatinate (times price) leaved in the solutions. From the curve: [cost of NH4Cl - value of chloroplatinate lost] you can find point in which both costs are the same (if any)

AWK, 
Thank you for your prompt and educational response. I have never performed a Ksp, due to the fact this is the first time I've ever heard the term used.  I see immediate benefits from such an analytical technique. 

Would you mind explaining to me what "Ksp" is an abbreviation of, and how to set up such a protocol?

Thanks again for your enlightening response. I look forward to hearing more about this.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:39:01 PM »
Google solubility product.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline WorkingWithPGMs

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:53:54 PM »
Borek,
Thank you.  Have Googled as you suggested--voila, a whole new window opens in my mind.  I have plenty of reading and absorbing to do I see.

Incredible forum you have here.  Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 04:18:16 AM »
Coul be you should just take a good book on general chemistry, or find some good general chemistry 101 site - you'll probably see a facade full of windows :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links