March 28, 2024, 10:37:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to get Lab experiences in Undergrad  (Read 21274 times)

Offline AN.

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to get Lab experiences in Undergrad
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »
Hey,

I notice how there are undergrads who get to work in labs with profs. I was just wondering how I can do that, like how to actually find out if they need anybody and to get an opportunity to do that. Also does it help me get into grad school in anyway?

Thanks

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: How to get Lab experiences in Undergrad
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »
Undergraduate research always helps you get into graduate school, as well as many other benefits.

The easiest way is to just ask a professor. See if your schools Chemistry websites list what the professors area of research is, and if you really like one, just ask that professor. If you have had a class with them and did good, even better. But even if you have not had a class with them, just tell them you are interested in the research they are doing and would like to try and get in on it.

Most professors set aside a small amount of money from their grant to pay graduates and undergraduates that help them with their research, too! They just have to have an open slot, and not think you are an idiot.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:41:06 PM »
I would say that undergraduate research gets you into graduate school.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »
I would say that undergraduate research gets you into graduate school.

And I would agree.  Maybe not to the top schools, maybe not with the besst scholarships, but in terms of just getting into grad school.....Having undergrad research experience is a free pass.

Many institutions will also overlook less-than-awesome marks if you have some experience.  A buddy of mine just started getting his Master's at a school that said applicants need an 80% average....his was probably around 72%.  But he did a 4th year project and so had 8 months of part-time lab experience.  Priceless.

Good luck, dude!

Offline AN.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:37:30 AM »
In my school we have these research opportunity courses, where they accept students in for research in exchange for a credit. I guess that would count as research experience then. I guess I'll start looking into that. So I guess the more research experience you have the better it is when applying for grad schools.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:51:20 PM »
Find professors that you like.  Go in and talk to them.  Have them describe their research to you.  Then choose one, and choose a project you like.  You'll most likely be assigned to a graduate student and will work with them as they teach you technique, and how things are done in the lab.  It'll be fun, and a good experience if you've chosen your profs wisely.

Offline Flat

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:38:36 PM »
To mimic what everyone else have said (because I am going through this right now) best thing to do is to find a few professors you like and look into the research they are doing. I am not sure how far along you are but some professors will lik you to have taken specific higher level courses before they will consider you.

I am a freshman right now and had my gen chem professor give me a good referral for a few spots.

Offline undcvrbro1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
I apologize to the OP for kind of Hijacking this thread, but is it possible to ask any professor?  I know next year my prof will be the Chemistry Dept. Chair, and the class will have around 100 kids.  If I came back a semester or two later would this guy help me get a research position, even though he will probably never know me personally from class time?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »
I apologize to the OP for kind of Hijacking this thread, but is it possible to ask any professor?  I know next year my prof will be the Chemistry Dept. Chair, and the class will have around 100 kids.  If I came back a semester or two later would this guy help me get a research position, even though he will probably never know me personally from class time?
The trick is to get yourself noticed.  Either through doing well on exams and quizzes, or making yourself noticed in class by answering questions, asking questions, etc.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:42:07 PM »
Your situation is easy to get noticed. At the start of the semester tell him you are interested in joining his research group, if he will have you. He will either accept you then, or say something along the lines of "lets see how you do this semester". From that point on, he will be noticing you. Even if he says he is not going to take anybody until they get to a higher level of course work, you have made him notice and remember you. Just make sure you do good in the class and he remembers you in a positive way!

Offline undcvrbro1

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »
Quote from: macman104
The trick is to get yourself noticed.  Either through doing well on exams and quizzes, or making yourself noticed in class by answering questions, asking questions, etc.

Quote from: enahs
Your situation is easy to get noticed. At the start of the semester tell him you are interested in joining his research group, if he will have you. He will either accept you then, or say something along the lines of "lets see how you do this semester". From that point on, he will be noticing you. Even if he says he is not going to take anybody until they get to a higher level of course work, you have made him notice and remember you. Just make sure you do good in the class and he remembers you in a positive way!

Thanks.  I'm surprised to see such a quick and helpful response to a newb.  I guess the main point that both of you have suggested is to just get noticed.  I plan on doing very well in the course, and I generally don't contribute much to class discussion, but I have no problem with talking to the professor before the course, as suggested. 

My only worry is that my unwillingness to contribute to class discussion may hurt my chances of getting a good Research position in undergrad.  Do the students who usually contribute to class get looked at for research more so then a student who tends to learn a little isolated? 

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
Do the students who usually contribute to class get looked at for research more so then a student who tends to learn a little isolated?

You are now asking question about an individual. It depends on the professor.
In lab you must show that you are willing to work with others, and can work well with others.

Also, if you talk with the professor before class and he/she is watching you with interest, you might not have a choice as he/she can just start addressing you by name and asking question, etc.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »
I plan on doing very well in the course, and I generally don't contribute much to class discussion, but I have no problem with talking to the professor before the course, as suggested. 

My only worry is that my unwillingness to contribute to class discussion may hurt my chances of getting a good Research position in undergrad.  Do the students who usually contribute to class get looked at for research more so then a student who tends to learn a little isolated?
I can't really say for your exact professor, but I would tell you that learning to participate in class is a good skill to try and acquire anyway.  You don't need (nor necessarily want) to be the person that answers every single time, but it would be good to speak up every now and then.  Also, there is nothing worse to someone leading a discussion or lecture than asking a question and having not a single person answer.  I can't say whether it will make or break your chances, but I certainly don't think it can hurt them.

Sponsored Links