March 29, 2024, 07:54:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry vs. Biochemistry  (Read 11605 times)

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Chemistry vs. Biochemistry
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »
I'm a sophomore at Temple University and this semester I'm taking general bio class. I had just declared my primary major to be Biochemistry. I'm on track for Pre-pharmacy  and my goal is to work as a researcher at a pharmaceutical company.

This week we started with the DNA deciphering and related stuff. Then I started looking at what a biochemist does and I'm not feeling too good about my choice.

This sounds confusing right? I want the pharmacy degree but I don't want to sit in at a pharmacy wasting all the knowledge that i learned/earned and I don't think I'll be fully qualified with just a PharmD. to work at a pharmaceutical company.

I'm not asking anyone which path I should take but rather enlighten me on the jobs of biochemists and chemists in the work field.

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: Chemistry vs. Biochemistry
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
ok, no response. let me clarify. Which would be more useful with a Doctorate of Pharmacy: A chemistry degree or a biochemistry degree.

That pharmD is there because i know that the chemical industry is volatile and companies layoff workers and a pharmacy is the alternative workplace for me

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:57:26 AM »
you might get a better response here  http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121

Offline eggles

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:39:34 AM »
personally i would say chemistry.im currently studying pharmaceutical chemistry and the number pure chemistry modules in the course far outweigh the biochem modules

Sponsored Links