April 28, 2024, 05:31:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Breaking down a mixture..  (Read 11598 times)

Offline just4fun

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Breaking down a mixture..
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:41:43 PM »
Hi all, I hope this is the right forum..

I have a mixture that is similar to the mixture of Silly Spray :P :P (http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/silly-string1.htm) but it is slightly different.  Acrylic Resin, a Surfactant, and Isoparaffin are the chemicals that I know are in the mixture.

The mixture is different in that it hardens quicker and more than Silly Spray. How can I find what the difference is?  Are there chemists that will work with an individual? Labs?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Breaking down a mixture..
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 04:07:26 AM »
Can you post the commercial name for the product you want to know about? There may be a material MSDS for it.

Offline just4fun

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
I don't know the product name. I think I picked this up a few years ago from Asia. But still  searching for ways to find out what is in it. Possibly take it to a chemist or maybe some labs? But that could be expensive..

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:29:14 PM »
I would always treat something like this as potentially toxic, especially if you do not have a MSDS.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 01:14:19 AM »
You can take the material to an analytical lab like Chemir.  They do deformulation work and are very good at it.  It will be quite expensive, though.

Link:

http://www.chemir.com/

http://199.96.3.58/Services/Deformulation.asp

Offline just4fun

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »

Yes, I'm just going to be careful.. I did think about an analytical chemists. I have contacted Chemir! However, the estimates seem to range from 4000-7000 bucks to have it go through that process. Quite expensive, I agree. I'm checking on others like Alliance Tech Group. If there was only an MSDS for other countries!  ;D

Offline just4fun

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »
I spoke with a representative from Chemir. She gave me a more possible idea, which was to take it to Heritage Environmental Services. At least that way they might be able to come back with me what lists the chemicals appear in. ... Deformulation / formulation is way expensive!

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:28:51 PM »
Yeah, Chemir is expensive, but they're excellent.  You will pretty much have an exact % by weight of each chemical in the mix.  Last time I checked (1997), they were ± 0.1% on each component.  Good luck with the Heritage services.

Sponsored Links