April 27, 2024, 11:11:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodine, atoms with more than 20 electrons  (Read 10468 times)

Offline Enceph

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Iodine, atoms with more than 20 electrons
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:44:59 AM »
First of all, this forum looks great, I look forward to learning a lot. 

So my question is this, atoms that have more than 20 electrons and protons, (the 2-8-8-2) are they able to become ions, and so become negatively, or positively charged?

Or are atoms with more than 20 electrons and protons like noble gases and will just remain neutral? 

Edit, it seems that they are hallogenic non metals, so they become negatively charged.  But how do I determine the -# if my text book has not expanded farther than 2-8-8-2 if it does even go further. 

Also, are covalent compounds limited to non metals sharing electrons, or as well as metals sharing electrons?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 11:42:14 AM by Enceph »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Iodine, atoms with more than 20 electrons
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »
What do you mean by "more" - 21, 22, 23, 24 and so on? Take a look at periodic table - plenty of elements of all kinds/groups fit this definition.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enceph

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »
I mean with an element like Iodine, there are 53 electrons, and 53 protons.  My text book only shows how to calculate its charge with the 2-8-8-2 valence shields.  If it has 53 electrons how do I calculate its exact negative charge? 

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »
There would be no net negative charge, since the number of protons equals the number of electrons.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Enceph

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
Why does Iodine have no net negative charge if it is a non metal, halogen?  Aren't all non metals negatively charged? 

What do I do when I encounter an element like Iodine that has over 20 electrons and protons in it, where I can't use the (2-8-8-2) method?  Do the valence shields extend upon that?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »
You must be doing some very fundamental mistake, but I have no idea where. Every atom of every element can exist as either neutral object, when number of electrons equals number of protons, or as ion, when it has electron(s) removed or attached. No idea what is 2-8-8-2 method - please elaborate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Sev

• Mole Snacks: +43/-6
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »
I mean with an element like Iodine, there are 53 electrons, and 53 protons.  My text book only shows how to calculate its charge with the 2-8-8-2 valence shields.  If it has 53 electrons how do I calculate its exact negative charge? 

As Mitch says Iodine is neutral.  Atoms tend to gain/lose e-s to reach nobel gas configuration.  Iodine can gain an e- giving I-.  Note I- is isoelectronic with Xe (noble gas).

Offline Enceph

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
You must be doing some very fundamental mistake, but I have no idea where. Every atom of every element can exist as either neutral object, when number of electrons equals number of protons, or as ion, when it has electron(s) removed or attached. No idea what is 2-8-8-2 method - please elaborate.
2-8-8-2 is the given number of electrons in each valence shield according to my text book.  I don't know how to reach the precise number of -, or + charge with Iodine, because it extends beyond 2-8-8-2, and I have no idea if (what?) the number of electrons are in the following valence shields.

Offline Enceph

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »

As Mitch says Iodine is neutral.  Atoms tend to gain/lose e-s to reach nobel gas configuration.  Iodine can gain an e- giving I-.  Note I- is isoelectronic with Xe (noble gas).
Aren't all elements inherently neutral then?

Offline Sev

• Mole Snacks: +43/-6
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »

Yes, but my point was you know the halogens form 1- ions to have noble gas configuration.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:32:24 PM »
The number of electrons needed to fill each row of the periodic table are as follows:

This is because in the 4th row of the periodic table, you start filling the d-orbitals (which can carry 10 electrons in total) and starting in the 6th row you begin filling the f-orbitals (which can carry 14 electrons in total).

For more info, the following wikipedia entry may be of some help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration#Aufbau_principle

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 03:37:18 AM »

Yes - in their ground state. It doesn't mean that's the charge they 'like' most.

Offline Enceph

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys!  You've answered all of my questions, and made things clear.

I love you guys!  You're really knowledgeable!

My father is a chemical engineer, but hasn't had to use his degree (apart from getting his job), so he really isn't as great of a help as you current chem engineers.

Sponsored Links