April 26, 2024, 04:27:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what mechanism?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline everydaygame

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
what mechanism?
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi, Im going to carry out an experiment in which cyclohexene and 1-chlorobenzotriazole in dichloromethane  to give two major products which will the be seperated by TLC (so im guessing ones considerably more polar). I dont know what the products will be yet and was wondering if anyone had a pointer on which mechanisms might be involved so i can have a crack at figuring it out?
Thanks

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: what mechanism?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »
Can you draw the structures of both starting compounds? The 1-chlorobenzotriazole is an oxidizer.  This is a 1-chloro 2-benzotriazole addition across the double bond.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:50:40 PM by agrobert »
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Shaun

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
    • Paragen
Re: what mechanism?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:48:10 AM »
The reaction of 1-chlorobenzotriazole with an alkene results in addition of Cl and a benzotriazolyl group across a double bond.

It is an electrophilic addition.  The chlorine tends to go to the more highly substituted carbon of the double bond.  However, here you don't have a more highly substituted carbon in your starting material so this doesn't give rise to the two different products.

The two different products result from syn vs. anti addition.  My guess is that the reaction gives the anti addition product predominantly.  This product will be much less polar than the syn addition product and they should be readily separable by TLC.

Sponsored Links