April 25, 2024, 03:02:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which branch of chemistry for me?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline breakdown

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Which branch of chemistry for me?
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was hoping I could get some insights as to which branch of chemistry would be the best for me to study.  Right now, I'm going into my 3rd semester of chemistry studies at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC.  This is the point where I need to start deciding which branch to take.  At my school, I have the choice of organic chem, inorganic chem, physical chem and analytical chem.  I would like to explain my situation a bit more involving my career opportunities after I graduate.

My father works mineral exploration.  Right now, he is working on two different exploration projects in South America.  One property is for gold and the other is for emeralds.  He is very excited that I'm studying chemistry because he can see it being very helpful for the type of work he does.

I'm wondering which branch of chemistry would be the most useful for me to study?  I'm thinking that inorganic chemistry would be the best since it deals with crystals and metals the most.  What does everyone recommend?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Which branch of chemistry for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
May I suggests  materials engineering?
AWK

Offline invisiblegs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Which branch of chemistry for me?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:05:03 PM »
This is a rather personal question you have asked of people who are not acquainted with you.  As far as what area of chemistry you should pursue in your studies, I would advise you to look at the different areas and find the one that appeals to you, and the one you seem to understand the most.  If you have no real preference between the disciplines, I will tell you that in my experience there are generally only two things that chemists with bachelors degrees end up doing in industry.  There is a high probability that you will either be making something or testing something.  In industry, synthetic and analytical chemistry are very important.  While these concepts can be applied to the four areas of chemistry differently, they are none the less the basis of many marketable skills in industry.  If, on the other hand, you decide to persue a career in academics, the more abstract and theoretical dimensions of chemistry will be very important.

Sponsored Links