March 28, 2024, 03:16:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: combustion with percent yeild?  (Read 5824 times)

walkerke

combustion with percent yeild?
« on: February 08, 2005, 07:13:39 PM »
So Here is the problem:
Limestone(CaCO3) is used to remove acidic pollutants from smokestack flue gases in a sequence of decomposition-combination reactions. The limestone is heated to form lime (CaO), which reacts with sulfur dioxide to form calcium sulfite. Assuming a 61.9% yield in the overall reaction, what mass of limestone is required to remove all the sulfur dioxide formed by the combustion of 66000 kg coal that is 0.36 mass % sulfur

I have written the equation and know how to do percent yeild equations but I am so lost when it comes to teh sulfur dioxide part. I don't understand how it all comes together and how I am supposed to figure it out from coal. If you have any suggestions, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:combustion with percent yeild?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:00:56 PM »
CaCO3 + S + O2 -> CaSO4 + CO2

The yield tells you that CaCO3 is 61.9% effective in removing sulphur, because only 61.9% of the CaCO3 present is used up in removing sulphur. Hence, you must supply more CaCO3 than the stoichiometric ratio suggest.

"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links