March 29, 2024, 10:07:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Jobs/Pay  (Read 30351 times)

MonkeyGirl

Re:Chemistry Jobs/Pay
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2005, 11:44:32 PM »
I'm not sure about your area, but in mine QC jobs pay somewhere around 28-35 K.  I think it really depends where you work.  Personally, I don't think a QC job will satisfy me, but it is a good start.  I think you can make a decent salary if you get into management.  

JSchultz

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2005, 12:34:50 AM »
Whoa! 28K? ouch!

What area are you from? Im in the Chicago area.

Thats a pretty good kick in the head. You go through 4 years of schooling, learn advance calculus, all the other stuff...and you get the same pay as some kid out of high school? damn, thats rough!

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 07:43:05 PM »
Welcome to chemistry.  A BS in Chem Eng will get you almost as much starting as a PhD in chemistry.  Sad but true.  Depends on if you like Chem E or not.  If you love it, then you're set.  If you love chem like me and don't like Chem E, then you have to decide whether or not to sell out and get the Chem E or to go with what you love.

MonkeyGirl

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 11:32:37 PM »
I'm in South Carolina, so you have to keep that in mind.  I'm sure the cost of living is a bit higher in your area.  I'm not saying 28K is good at all, but it is the reality around here.  Like I said, this is in quality control.  Some people make more, some less.  You can easily live here on that much though, with some left to spare.  

JSchultz

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2005, 07:40:29 PM »
actually, salary.com says SC cost of living is 16% lower.

Therefore, a 35K a year job here in Chicago equates to 29.4K over there. Makes sense, because thats what they generally pay around here.

I wonder how it is down south trying to find a job within chemistry though. My girlfriend is from New Orleans, LA and wants to move back after school. I dont know what my chances of finding work down there would be though.

Sponsored Links