April 29, 2024, 12:38:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Set-up of HPLC with quaternary solvent delivery  (Read 7143 times)

Offline Dolphinsiu

• Mole Snacks: +3/-7
Set-up of HPLC with quaternary solvent delivery
« on: November 29, 2007, 06:27:41 AM »
http://www.gmi-inc.com/AnyLab/HP%201100b.jpg

That is what I use in laboratory that is similar to the above figure in link:

HPLC operating parameters:
Make and model of HPLC pump: Agilent 1100 Series G1311A Quat Pump
Make and model of detector: Agilent 1100 G13658 MWD
Make and model of injector: Rheodyns 7725 i
Column: Perkin ElmerTM Brownlee column, Spheri-5, RP-18, 5 um, 250 × 4.6 mm
Mobile phase: 70% TBA (0.002 M) + 30% Acetonitrile
Mobile phase flow rate: 1.3 ml/min

In above link, where are the degasser, pump(high pressure) and the column and detector in the figure? Although all compartments are well packed in one system, I still have difficulty to idenify them.

In most top - solvent reservoir
top - pump ?
middle - degasser ?
bottom - column ?
most bottom - detector ?

(If it is very confused and if you can use arrow to label in the above figure in link, it is better to make me understand, Thank you!)

Also, if degasser is used to minimize the bubbles in solvent, why can't we deliver the solvent with big bubbles by syringe injection?

Offline Darkness

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Set-up of HPLC with quaternary solvent delivery
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »
Hey Buddy,
Just follow your solvent lines from the reservoirs. The first thing that you will run into will be the pumping system. After that you may run into a mixer followed by a degassing system (if present). After your line makes it's rounds through the various selection valves, etc, it will lead to the column wich will ususlly be out of sight and in a temperature controlled chamber. In most systems the line will usually run right to the detector after this. In some it will "T" off.
Like I said just follow the line.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »

Dear Dolphinsiu;

I think there will be better pictures under:
(See the single parts under: “Instrumentation (Agilent Technologies)” on the second link.)

Good Luck!
                   ARGOS++

Offline invisiblegs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »
I use an Agilent 1100 on a semiregular basis, so lets see what we can determine about the system in your picture.  You are correct about the solvent cabinet on top, that is their default location.  It looks as if there are two of them stacked together though.  The next unit down looks like a pump.  I can see the pump head through the window (on the left) and possibly the quaternary valve next to it.  I think the next unit down is an autosampler.  Inside the window looks like a sample vial carousel, and robotic arm.  The next unit down looks like a column cabinet, and the unit at the bottom of the stack looks like the detector.  I can see the round light source through the window.  This order also makes sense in terms of gravity/solvent flow and the order of operations with solvent storage, pump, sample introduction, column (separation), and finally detection. 

Offline invisiblegs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »
After a second look at the picture provided by ARGOS++  I understand what is going on with the unit that looks like two solvent cabinets stacked on top of each other.  Only the upper part of that unit is the solvent cabinet, the bottom part is the degassing unit that was spoken of.  The system I use does not have one of these units so that is why I missed it.

Offline Dolphinsiu

• Mole Snacks: +3/-7
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:52:55 AM »
I see. Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links