March 28, 2024, 04:02:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CO2 Question - Im a noob!  (Read 4579 times)

Offline pom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
CO2 Question - Im a noob!
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:56:45 AM »
Hello All )

Firstly let me give some background. I've been making bio-diesel from waste and new veg oil for a while now as its considerable cheaper than fossil diesel and better for the environment. Recently there has been research into farming Algae for its oil which really is a winwin as it consumes lots of CO2. Now for the rub.

For a home user with a couple hundred gallon Algae growth tank, how in a cost efficient manner can CO2 in ther air be extracted for pumping through the algae tank ? A system that runs 24/7 and consumes as little energey as possible is preferred.

I'm sure you boffins have a method us bio-diesel makers can adapt.

many thanks

pom

Offline lost and found

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
Re: CO2 Question - Im a noob!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:54:06 PM »
CO2 and other gases are seperated from air by liquifying it. Each gas will boil off at a specific temperature. This is not practical at all for getting CO2 at home. Most CO2 is produced commercially by the decomposition of calcium carbonate at ~800 Celsius.

CaCO3 --> CaO + CO2

You may be able to set up a burner that will produce CO2. Burning any carbon-based substance (alcohol, gasoline, wood, leaves, coal, etc.) will convert O2 to mostly CO2 and H2O.

MB

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:52:37 AM »
Burning fossile to make CO2 for algae plantation kind of negates the enviromental effect. If you have a some CO2 source that is on most of the time (e.g. oil burner heating a house) you can direct the exhaust gases in to the algae tank after scrubbing off harmful compounds like SO2 with soda ash or lime scrubber.

Or you could just pump lots of air through the tank. This altough reguires electricity or some other energy source like wind driven air pump.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline pom

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:00:19 AM »
thanks for the information, so some sort of compressor would be needed ?

It is an attractive option to get working as in the UK you are paid for 'consuming' CO2 so as well as feeding the algae you get paid for doing it!

I read someplace that it can be generated using electrolysis ?

more info needed keep it coming boffins!!

Pom

Offline lost and found

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:22:36 AM »
This is from http://neptune.spaceports.com/~helmut/exploration99/strategy1/2_5_3_utilization_martian_resources.html

"Carbon Dioxide Electrolysis

Carbon dioxide electrolysis is a well-known process and can be described by the following chemical reaction

2CO2 ---> 2CO + O2

It is used to extract oxygen out of the atmospheric carbon dioxide by means of a yittria stabilized zirconia solid electrolyte. It is also known as "solid oxide electrolysis" (internet ref 1). The first in-flight test of this technology will take place in the course of the MIP experiment mentioned above. If the experiment is proved to be worthwhile, such technology shall recommended as part of our strategy to produce oxygen to be used as propellant."

When I get a chance, I will post a picture of my idea (I don't have time to draw it right now).

Offline pom

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 07:37:40 AM »
I've no idea what any of that means but hey thats sounds waaaaay coool.

It seems to be the holy grail at the moment to get such a machine.

cheers

Pom

Offline lost and found

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 12:01:26 PM »
Here's a basic idea (needs improvements)

Sponsored Links