April 24, 2024, 11:05:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help Connecting Antoine Equation to Saturation Mole Fractions  (Read 8560 times)

Offline AKTuffin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help Connecting Antoine Equation to Saturation Mole Fractions
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:36:11 PM »
I am a first year chemical engineer and we have this homework problem for class. I am unsure if I missed something in class or if I should have had more chemistry background before taking this intro. class. So, I was wondering if someone could help me connect somethings.

The problem is this:
The vapor pressure of a liquid i, pi,v(mmHg), as a function of temperature T (K) may be described by the Antoine equation: pi,v = A - B/(T + C)  where for i = water, the constants are: A=18.3036, B=3816.44, C=-46.13. Plot the saturation mole fraction of water vapor in air, xi,S as a function between 20oC and 100oC. The RH is, in fact, the ratio of the actual mole fraction of water in air, xi, to the saturation mole fraction, xi,S, at a given temperature. RH = xi/xi,S. Thus, calculate mole fraction xi n a hot muggy day when RH=80% and the temperature is 37oC.

I started out by plugging in the temperature and the constants into the Antoine equation. pi,v = 18.3036 - ( 3816.44/ (310-46.13) ) and found pi,v = 3.8402 mmHg
I also know that RH=80% so .80=xi/xi,S and I am solving for xi.
So, my question is, did I attempt this wrong or is there someway that I missed to connect pi,v to xi,S.

Sorry if this seems a bit easy, but I seem to have definatly missed something in class.

Sponsored Links