April 28, 2024, 07:42:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrophillic Aromatic Substitution- Can this reagent work?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline monkey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrophillic Aromatic Substitution- Can this reagent work?
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:14:31 PM »
Can anyone help me out?
I was wondering if this step is Electrophillic Aromatic Substitution. Can NEt4Br act like FeBr3 in EAS. Also isn't NEt4Br an ionic bond? Does that affect EAS?

Here is the step:

Thanks in advance!

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: Electrophillic Aromatic Substitution- Can this reagent work?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:24:01 PM »
NEt4Br is a stabilized ionic organic soluble source of Br-.  This is EAS but I don't know if NEt4Br is necessary (possibly accelerates reaction).  It is not a Lewis Acid like FeBr3 so you couldn't do similar Friedal-Kraft reactions.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline xc

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Electrophillic Aromatic Substitution- Can this reagent work?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:06:45 AM »
Yes, it's electrophylic aromatic substitution but, as agrobert said, NEt4Br cannot play the role of FeCl3, since it's not a Lewis acid.

The role of NEt4Br is to form, by reaction with Br2, NEt4Br3, which is a well known brominating agent. This reagent can be isolated in form of orange crystals, and is much easier to handle than liquid Br2 (though in this case, since it's prepared in situ, liquid bromine is used anyway).

I think the reason to use it in this example is to obtain a good regioselectivity. In the molecule of the example, the selectivity for EAS is in ortho and para positions (refered to the amine) and the use of a Lewis acid such as FeCl3 would direct the reaction preferably to the ortho positions, due to complexation of the Fe with the nitrogen.

In the other side, NEt4Br3 is known to have selectivity to the para position. Also, it's a mild brominating agent, so it just forms the monobrominated product.

Sponsored Links