March 28, 2024, 09:55:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: zerostat gun  (Read 11935 times)

Offline wintermute

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
zerostat gun
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
hi,

is anybody familiar with ZEROSTAT gun - piezoelectric device neutralizing static electricity in laboratory? is it worth of 123 euros? how effective is it?
in general, how do you avoid your powder products from flying and sticking to vials, flasks and spatulas?

thanks in advance

Offline sjh9

• Mole Snacks: +4/-1
Re: zerostat gun
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »
I've had no luck with those things.  They tend to move the powder/fluffy material around but the material does not fall nicely to the bottom of the vial.  I've also used the horseshoe that sets in front a balance window, these are worthless as well.  Safety gloves seem to contribute a lot to the static problem.  I tend not to wear them when I weigh out powder/fluffy material.
I'd rather be in the lab!
-every manager

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »
Ion guns and point ionizers don't seem to work very well for me. They either work slowly or not at all especially at wintertime when the air is dry.

So far the best thing for removing static electricity from classware and spatulas is the U-loop deionizer. Those really remove the static electricity in seconds even at sub 20% humidity. The downside is that you could get 5 ZEROSTAT guns for the price.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »
I've also used the horseshoe that sets in front a balance window, these are worthless as well.

So far the best thing for removing static electricity from classware and spatulas is the U-loop deionizer.

Somehow I feel like you are both talking the same thing?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sjh9

• Mole Snacks: +4/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:42:54 AM »
I've also used the horseshoe that sets in front a balance window, these are worthless as well.

So far the best thing for removing static electricity from classware and spatulas is the U-loop deionizer.

Somehow I feel like you are both talking the same thing?

You are correct.  While I conceed that the "U-loop deionizer" is better than the gun, it is far from perfect.  It is ineffective when used with freeze dried material.
I'd rather be in the lab!
-every manager

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
I wish I had something to solve this issue as well.  My biggest use would be getting the damn silica gel to not stick to the sides so I could get it out of the flask.  Scraping forever and ever is not fun...

EDIT:  I mean sticks, even after drying under vacuum for who knows how many hours...

Offline wintermute

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »
So, I have bought it just to try and, honestly spoken, it is wonder thing effectively fighting statics every errrrrr second time I use it. For the rest of cases, it effectively charges the surface making the adhesion of powder even easier :-D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
You can always try the second time on the same sample ;D
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cookingwithsolvents

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
They work wonders, especially in the box.  You have to use them properly.  Squeeze the trigger slowly while aiming at your stuff, aim gun away from said stuff and release trigger.

madly zapping it like it is a lazer tag gun or something will just spray dust all over and impart even more static electricity.

Some substances seem immune to the gun.  I have no clue why.

Sponsored Links