I have a design project to make continuous flow hot air popcorn production system
Criteria to be met :
- feed is popping kernels at flowrate 200g/min. moisture content is 14% by weight
- feed obtained from storage at ambient T,P
- popped product is delivered into the top of storage bin at ambient pressure
- heat is supplied by electrical resistance heaters
- heated air applied to kernels enters at 230 C
- kernels pop when center temperature is 187 C
This is my first design project so I hope someone could help me figure out what should be figured out.. I'm a little bit confused on what to find.
So, what i did first is to collect data that I might need. But I'm confused about the kernels.
I'm thinking that the kernels would be thought as 0.14 of water and 0.96 of starch. So, for example, heat capacity of kernels are calculated by x1*Cp1 + x2*Cp2. Am I right?
Does anyone know where to find starch data? I found starch data in Perry's but it didn't have Cp and thermal conductivity..
This case is a forced convection case right?
Moreover, can I assume that center and surface temperature of kernels would be the same?
Is ambient pressure 1 atm?
What would happen with the pressure? Does Criteria #3 imply that pressure would stay the same?
Thanks in advance for reading and helping me!