April 29, 2024, 01:27:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: why adding salt of good solubility can increase dissolution of bad Sy one?  (Read 9881 times)

Offline studytogether

• Mole Snacks: +1/-26
why adding salt of good solubility can increase dissolution of bad Sy one?

can I explain as the same reason as salt dissolve in water?

Just like the water encircle salt to dissolve salt,

the salt of good solubility encircle the salt of bad solubility, thus increase its solubility?

is the description above properly?

Offline Sev

• Mole Snacks: +43/-6
Consider AgCl (sparingly soluble salt).

AgCl is in equilibrium: AgCl ↔ Ag+ + Cl-

AgCl solubility can be increased by adding an ion that precipitates Ag+ or Cl-.
eg. Pb(NO3)2 is soluble.  Pb2+ will form precipitate PbCl2 with Cl-.  [Cl-] decreases, shifting AgCl equilbirum to the right.  So addition of Pb(NO3)2 has increased AgCl solubility.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Pb(NO3)2 is soluble.  Pb2+ will form precipitate PbCl2 with Cl-.  [Cl-] decreases, shifting AgCl equilbirum to the right.  So addition of Pb(NO3)2 has increased AgCl solubility.

No. Concentration of Cl- in saturated AgCl solution is way too low for PbCl2 precipitation. It may work other way around - adding AgNO3 to PbCl2 solution. But I am not sure I will decide to call this situation "increased solubility". Depends how you define solubility - note that you don't have more PbCl2 in the solution, just more Pb2+. That's not the same thing.

studytogether: adding an inert salt increases ionic strength of the solution, lowering ions activities. This will increase solubility for sure.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Sev

No. Concentration of Cl- in saturated AgCl solution is way too low for PbCl2 precipitation.

Is that because Q (IP) will be less than Ksp of PbCl2?

Offline studytogether

thanks for you both.

could I view the reason why we increase ionic strength of bad-soluable salt can increase its solubilty is same to the reason why hydration can dissolve salt?

I feel they are similar in certain degree..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
No. Concentration of Cl- in saturated AgCl solution is way too low for PbCl2 precipitation.

Is that because Q (IP) will be less than Ksp of PbCl2?

Exactly.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
could I view the reason why we increase ionic strength of bad-soluable salt can increase its solubilty is same to the reason why hydration can dissolve salt?

I feel they are similar in certain degree..

You may assume that ions "shield" other ions which makes them "less visible" in the solution. But the real explanation (and the one that gave correct results when described mathematically) was different. Sorry, I have no time to delve deeper right now. Look for Debye-Huckel theory.

Offline Sev

Offline studytogether

thx all ;D

Sponsored Links