June 15, 2024, 06:19:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: challenging question  (Read 9061 times)

Offline empty subshell

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
challenging question
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
ok so this is what ive got:

An electrically excited hydrogen atom has its electron in a 5f subshell. the electron drops down to the 3d subshell, releasing a photon in the process.
Give n and l quantum numbers for both subshells, and give the range of possible m1 quantum numbers.
wha tis the wavelength of light emitted by this process?
the hydrogen atom now has a single electron in the 3d subsell. what is the energy (in kj/mol) required to remove this atom?

if you could point me in the right direction i'd be grateful. is this something i have to use the rydberg equation for?

Offline The Tao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry BS Student
Re: challenging question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »

An electrically excited hydrogen atom has its electron in a 5f subshell. the electron drops down to the 3d subshell, releasing a photon in the process.
Give n and l quantum numbers for both subshells, and give the range of possible m1 quantum numbers.
the hydrogen atom now has a single electron in the 3d subsell. what is the energy (in kj/mol) required to remove this atom?

if you could point me in the right direction i'd be grateful. is this something i have to use the rydberg equation for?

The wave length can be found with the Rydberg equation.

ΔE= R'(1/ni2-1/nf2)

Where i is the inital position of the electron, in your case this would be 5, and f is the final position of the electron, once again in your case it would be 3. R' is the Rydberg constant which = 2.18*10-18

ΔE= R'(1/52-1/32)

ΔE is equal to the energy of the photon emitted, which is also equal to hv, where h is plank's constant (6.6*10-36) and v is the frequency of the wave.

ΔE=E of photon = hv

E=hv  and solved for v=(c/λ)   (C=v*λ)

so E=h(c/λ) and solving for λ, the wavelength gives us λ= hc/E.

At this point λ is in meters, so to change it to a more suitable answer we multiply it by 109 to convert it into nanometers.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:32:42 PM by The Tao »
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »

To find the energy in kj/mol need to remove this "electron" you said atom, but it should be electron.

To find the energy we use the same equation

ΔE= R'(1/ni2-1/nf2)

only in this case, the i or "initial" position of the electron would be 3, and the final position would be (infinity) (just pretend that there is a sideways eight there.

ΔE= R'(1/ni2-1/infinity)

through basic calculus you should know that 1/infinity is zero. Simply because it's 1 divided by a massively large number.

so naturally it is zero, and cancels out.

ΔE= R'(1/32-0)

ΔE= R'(1/32)

and then just simply solve.

"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »

the n numbers are 5, and 3, which are just the numbers in front of your shells. the l quantum numbers are always 0 to n-1, so

where n=5, l= 0 to 5-1, or 0,1,2,3,4

where n=3 l= 0 to 3-1 or 0,1,2

the ml are -l to +l

so we have

l=1, -1, 0, 1
l=2, -2;-1,0,1,-1
l=3, -3, -2, -1, 0,1, 2, 3
l=4 and so on
l=5 and so on

remember that you have to make these "big" charts under both n=3, and n=5,

You should also know that the "n" numbers denote the energy, the l numbers denote the shape, and the ml numbers denote the orientation i.e. along the x,y,z axis.

If you don't understand some of this stuff, don't fret, this is a basic introduction into quantum theory and alot of people have difficulties with it. Just don't make it to complicating, it really isn't.

Sponsored Links