April 26, 2024, 12:21:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Distillation Apparatus  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Kingjim9

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Distillation Apparatus
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:57:21 PM »
Hello, I need a distillation apparatus.  I've searched the internet for plans and such, which i've found some good ones.  However what seems to be lacking is a materials list.  Does anybody know any materials lists that says what size & how many plumbing fixtures are needed.  Any help would be much appreciated

Offline Kingjim9

Re: Distillation Apparatus
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »
Ok i found a materials list.  I've started to gather prices for all the copper parts & fittings and discovered that copper is pretty expensive.  Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative metal thats cheaper?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »
What are you distilling and how large? Is this for analytical chemistry purposes or making alcohol to consume?

Offline Kingjim9

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »
It will be used for making alcohol

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »
Why not glass?
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Kingjim9

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »
i've looked into glass and it seems that the ones found online reach up to $150 - $200 for a small setup,  and seeking the services of a glass blower would be equally as expensive i presume.

Offline Darkness

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »
Though it may be a bit more expensive, I do reccommend glass, for many reasons, such as cleaning and versatility. Also with glass there are a lot more flexible solutions. I would search on line for a company that is having a "rummage sale". and make sure that you buy parts that are standard/universal in the industry.

Offline invisiblegs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »
Just a cautionary note here as you proceed down the well worn, if not well illuminated path toward alcohol distillation.  While glass is a wonderful idea as a material, I would caution you against using pieces of unknown origin if you are distilling for consumption.  "Virgin" glass is harder to come by, but can you be sure that the stuff you bought from an online auction wasn't used to process heavy metals, or toxic organic chemicals?  Even though your intent may be to poision yourself anyway (slowly and incompletely), I maintain that it is better to be hung over than dead... just my opinion.  Plumbing supplies are generally cheaper and more readily available.  Just be sure not to use things like lead solder etc. when you put them together, and build with new materials.  I'm really not this prudish on the subject of alcohol, but the possible ramifications of using a tainted still need to be addressed.

Sponsored Links