Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid Strenght  (Read 6077 times)

Edher

Acid Strenght
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
Saludos,

"Does a strong acid simply dissociates faster than a
weak one? What does the speed to dissociate depend on?"

It seems that the strength of an acid is deducted from a series of tests with different solvents. Such is the case with HCl acid and HClO4 acid. They both dissociate to completion in water, therefore there's no way to tell which one is a stronger acid. However, if the solutes are introduced in a different solution (C2H5)2O (A weaker base than water) HClO4 still goes to completion whereas HCl is only parially ionized. Thus, demonstrating that HClO4 is the strongest acid.

Yet, why is it that HCl04 donates its H+ proton more readily than HCl to (C2H5)2O? Does it have to do perhaps with electronegativity? Though that doesn't make a lot of sense since both molecules are neutral to begin with, and they are covalently bonded rather than bonded with Van der Waals bonds, therefore electronegativity wouldn't matter that much in this case. This is as far as my reasoning goes. Now I need you to take over.

Thank you.

Edher

dexangeles

Re:Acid Strenght
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »
strong acids dissociates fully while weak acids do not

hint 1 on other question:  what is electronegativity?

hint 2 on other question: what does it mean when when a Hydrogen is bonded to a very electronegative atom?  

note: remember that electrons are not equally shared by different bonded atoms

Edher

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »
strong acids dissociates fully while weak acids do not

hint 1 on other question:  what is electronegativity?

hint 2 on other question: what does it mean when when a Hydrogen is bonded to a very electronegative atom?  

note: remember that electrons are not equally shared by different bonded atoms

Electronegativity is the measure of an atom's attraction for the electrons of the other atom(s) it is bonded to.

When a Hydrogen atom is bonded to a very electronegative atom, it means that Hydrogen's electron spends most of its time around the nucleus of the atom it is bonded to.

Can anyone out there please give a straight forward answer? This is not a test question, this is not a homework question. I am merely trying to solidify the base of my chemistry knowledge by understanding its most fundamental properties. My chemistry class covers large quantities of material daily, therefore I have no time for riddles (though I do like riddles.)

Thank You in Advance for an ANSWER
Edher

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 05:55:29 PM »
First off, acid strength has nothing to do with speed.

Acid strength is a thermodynamic term not a kinetic one. When you say "strong acid simply dissociates faster", you are confusing these two concepts.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

dexangeles

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 08:04:33 PM »
Well we're told that forum rules says we should help you to figure out te answer instead of giving it out, this way we all learn and remember in the process :)

question 1:  now that you know the electron of a Hydrogen bonded to a very electronegative atom are mostly located around the electronegative atom and not the Hydrogen, what does that tell you about the ease of the dissociating te Hydrogen?

note: eletronegativity is the rule for acidity strength when going across a periodic table, but it doesn't hold true when goin down the table.  Down the periodic table, what matters most is the length and strength of the bond (the longer the weaker), thus hydrochloric acid is stronger than hydrofluoric acid.  So, acid strength increases going down the periodic table.

question 2: I would like to know what you mean by the molecules are neutral? Do you mean formal charge? (just making sure you are not mistaking it with polarity)

question 3: what is a covalent bond, van der waals bond, and what is the difference between them?

note: H2O ---->
a) H-O-H bond is covalent
b) unequal sharing of electrons (no cancelling out due to shape) thus has a dipole moment
c) dipole-dipole (H-bonding in this case) attraction between molecules

Sorry for asking all these questions, but you are getting close to the answer.  

« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 08:05:52 PM by DA »

Sponsored Links