April 16, 2024, 04:09:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Californium  (Read 7689 times)

tickle munster14

Californium
« on: February 19, 2005, 10:46:30 PM »
ok ive looked everywhere on the internet possible to find out what are the chemical properties of Californium and i cant find it!!!! :cursing:  :blowup:So if anyone knows what the chemical properties to Californium are, please tell me tonight or by Monday!!! :cry2:

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Californium
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 10:51:37 PM »
It has similar chemistry to all the actinides.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Californium
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
Not a whole lot is known about the chemistry of Californium due to its high radioactivity and relative rarity.  (It does not occur naturally and has to be made in a nuclear reactor).  The pure metal has actually never been made in a visible form, I believe.  All I do know about it is that it generally exhibits an oxidation state of +3 in aqueous solutions, and on occasion +2.  It is expected to have a similar chemistry to that of Dysprosium which lies directly above it on the Periodic Table.  About 3% of the decay of Cf isotopes are due to spontaneous fission, so Cf is a VERY potent neutron emitter.  That makes it quite dangerous to work with which would also explain why not a helluva lot is known about it chemically.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links