March 28, 2024, 05:08:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Scavenger Hunt  (Read 19613 times)

Offline 1337monk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Scavenger Hunt
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »
Hello Everyone I have A Chemical Scavenger Hunt do in chem and I am having trouble figuring these out.

Ground Rules:

1. The laboratory may not be used as a source for items. You may, however, use equipment in the lab for measurement purposes. All search items are easily available and can be found in the average home. A single item may be used as the answer to several questions. Items do not have to be pure, but must verifiably contain the desired substance. NO VITAMIN TABLETS MAY BE USED

2. Label each item with its number from the hunt list. Prepare a correspondingly labeled deck of note cards with any verification measurements, calculations, formulas, equations, explanations, etc. that pertain to it (No work, No Credit, No Kidding!)

3. NO HAZARDOUS MATERIALS MAY BE USED.

SCAVENGER HUNT LIST

1. The product of an oxidation-reduction reaction. Label the sample with its correct chemical formula, its common name and chemical name.

2. A man-made polymer labeled with its correct scientific name and chemical formula.

3. 250 Calories (remember 1 Calorie = 1 food Calorie = 1000 calories). On the notecard show the calculation to determine the temperature change that would be observed when 50.0 mL of water absorbs this amount of heat.

4. A container with a mixture of gases. Label the contents with the (a) a percent by mass of each gas and (b) the relative number of molecules

5. A compound of 2 or more nonmetals. Label the compound with its formula, its chemical name, an electron dot formula and the total number of atoms per molecule.

6. A container with the compound that completes the equations (which you must balance) :

Na + ______  -----> NaOH +H2               and
C2H6 + 02 -------> CO2 + _______

Record both balanced equations on your notecard for this item. If 5.0 mol of this compound were to react completely with sodium, how many moles of hydrogen would be produced? If 1.362g of this compound were produced by burning CsH6 , how many liters of carbon dioxide would be produced at STP? (show all your calculations).

7. A Solid manufactured primarily from molten silicon dioxide among other materials Record on your note card for this item the completed phrase:

" Contains Silicon dioxide which has the formula _____ and is more commonly known as ______. The percent of oxygen by mass in the compound is ______%. "

8. A cardboard cube constructed to have the same volume of 0.10 mole of Hydrogen gas when measured at STP. Notecard with the dimensions of the cube must be attatched. Calculations required.

9. A Drawing which shows a 1500mL container with 1.730 g of nitrogen gas connected to an open arm manometer. Assume the atmospheric pressure is 743mm Hg and the temperature is 25 degrees C. Your drawing should correctly show and label the difference in height of the mercury columns on the manometer.

10.  A Container with a sample of the gas which would remain left over and unreacted after 15L of nitrogen and 15L of hydrogen are combined and react to produce ammonia gas according to the equation :

N2+ 3H2 ------->  2NH3

the deltaH for this reaction is -46.19 kJ/mol of ammonia produced. Label the container with the name of the excess gas and the amount of heat that would be released if 41.59g of ammonia were produced.

11. A compound formed from an alkali and a halogen. Label the compound with its formula and name. What would be the formula of the oxide of the metal? What Group 1 element would have an ionization energy greater than this element?

12. An ionic compound which contains an element with an electron configuration ending with 3p5. What is the charge of this element's ion in the compound and how did it obtain this charge?

13. A container with a mixture of one polar compound and one nonpolar compound. On the notecard write the names of these two compounds, draw their structural formulas and label the bond angles.

14. A sample of an inert or Noble gas. Identify the gas with its name and symbol and the date it was discovered.

15. A sample of matter with radioactive 14c(albeit a minute amount of 1 in 7.8x1011 atoms). This isotope is a beta emitter. Label the sample with the decay equation.

16. A saturated solution of a compound which would yield a precipitate when added to a solution of lead(II)nitrate. If a saturated solution of this compound is 6.1M, how many liters of the solution would contain 0.6893mol of the compound?
Label the solution with the balanced net ionic equation for the reaction with lead(II) nitrate and this compound. Write the Ksp expression for the precipitate produced.

17. A compound which has an element in the 3+ oxidation state. If this element in the free state were added to dilute sulfuric acid, what would be the balanced equation for its reaction?

18. A solution with a pH less than 7. Label the solution with its name, formula, and pH. Calculate the [H+] Calculate the molarity if 23.41 mL of a similar solution were needed to neutralize 16.53mL of a 0.160M sodium hydroxide solution.

19. Two different objects with the same volumes but different densities. Show your calculations for the densities of both objects.

20. A sample of a solid that dissolves ENDOTHERMICALLY in water. Notecard must have the common name and chemical name of the substance and the balanced equation for the solution process.

Thats it. IF anyone could help me that would be great, I really need this points to keep up my grade. Thanks in Advance!

Offline 1337monk

Re: Chemistry Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
i have numbers 17, 19, 14, and 7 done. so if you could help me with the others that would be great.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
A couple of things; first please read forum rules. We want to help you learn, not do your entire assignment for you.

That said, many of these are super easy. Either you are not trying or trying to hard.
Example:
2, polystyrene (packing foam) or polyester fabric or nylon or Teflon, etc etc.
4, Air, just an "empty" container. Just look up the various components of air and label it properly.
6, is just water. You should know this. Look at the reactions! What is always a product of combustion of a hydrocarbon?! You should also be familiar with NaOH by now!

Please try again and get what you can and then ask for help with specific ones.

Offline 1337monk

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
A couple of things; first please read forum rules. We want to help you learn, not do your entire assignment for you.

That said, many of these are super easy. Either you are not trying or trying to hard.
Example:
2, polystyrene (packing foam) or polyester fabric or nylon or Teflon, etc etc.
4, Air, just an "empty" container. Just look up the various components of air and label it properly.
6, is just water. You should know this. Look at the reactions! What is always a product of combustion of a hydrocarbon?! You should also be familiar with NaOH by now!

Please try again and get what you can and then ask for help with specific ones.

ok thanks. sorry i didn't read the rules  :-[  .  I was thinking water, for 6 I am just not confident in my work, due to the bad grade I have in Chem. So i guess if I have a question if I am right or not that would be the correct thing to ask. I understand and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »
You have alot of work to do.  I will help you start...

2. A man-made polymer labeled with its correct scientific name and chemical formula.

Polyethylene terephthalate:  PET
Formula:  C10H8O4

3. 250 Calories (remember 1 Calorie = 1 food Calorie = 1000 calories). On the notecard show the calculation to determine the temperature change that would be observed when 50.0 mL of water absorbs this amount of heat.

5 tablespoons of Hershey’s syrup = 250 calories.
A Solid manufactured primarily from molten silicon dioxide among other materials Record on your note card for this item the completed phrase:

" Contains Silicon dioxide which has the formula ___ and is more commonly known as ______. The percent of oxygen by mass in the compound is ______%. "

SiO2….glass is a good example

% O….have to calculate that:  SiO2 = formula weight = 60.1 g/mol
Molar mass O = 16.00 g/1mol O
2(16.00g ) = 32.0 g O in SiO2

1 mol SiO20/60.1g) x (2 mole O/1 mole SiO2) x (16.00g O/1 mol O) = 0.5324 g O/1 mol SiO2 x 100 = 53.24%

A compound formed from an alkali and a halogen. Label the compound with its formula and name. What would be the formula of the oxide of the metal? What Group 1 element would have an ionization energy greater than this element?

Sodium Chloride:  NaCl
Metal = sodium = Na
Oxide of metal is Na2O

Lithium = Li

14. A sample of an inert or Noble gas. Identify the gas with its name and symbol and the date it was discovered.

Xenon = Xe

Xenon was discovered in England by William Ramsay and Morris Travers on July 12, 1898, shortly after their discovery of the elements krypton and neon.

Offline yosh

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:44 AM »
How can you be sure that 5 Tb. of hershey's syrup has exactly 250 calories.  Food labels are exact or even accurate at times.

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
They must comply with FDA or cannot be applied to the product.....and Hell Hath no Fury like a lab scrutinized by FDA.....but I can dig you up some others....

Offline yosh

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »
That same FDA doesn't check 93% of all its imports from China, causing an outbreak of disease in the US not so long ago.  Plus, the kid's looking for an exact amount and it would be hard to measure that.  However, I'd be interested in other examples...

By the way, does polystyrene have a chemical formula?

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:04:36 AM »
No that would be the job of US Customs...they are responsible for that...they pull the products at the ports...and send them for testing...and it is rather random...

Try doing a search for 200 calorie foods:  here ya go and the grams of each are delineated as well-.http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm.

Polystyrene:   look upthe MSDS fo polystyrene or just go to DOW (comes in  many grades/forms): http://www.polymerprocessing.com/polymers/PS.html

Offline 1337monk

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »
hello all i am still having trouble finding this

13. A container with a mixture of one polar compound and one nonpolar compound. On the notecard write the names of these two compounds, draw their structural formulas and label the bond angles.

i know like a mixture of gas would be one, but we aren't allowed to take that into school so can anyone help with this?

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
Oil and water...and you can tell because they separate into layers...the polar organic oil layer and the aqueous inorganic layer.

Offline 1337monk

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
Oil and water...and you can tell because they separate into layers...the polar organic oil layer and the aqueous inorganic layer.

ok i used canola oil and i am having a tough time finding its chemical composition if anyone can give me a link it would be appreciated. I am searching and have had no luck.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:54:42 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
It is all in here:

http://membership.acs.org/c/ccs/pubs/CLIPS/JCE20030481.pdf

You can download that pdf file..

Offline 1337monk

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 08:41:15 PM »
It is all in here:

http://membership.acs.org/c/ccs/pubs/CLIPS/JCE20030481.pdf

You can download that pdf file..

Thank you for all your Help  ;D :) 8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:17:13 AM by Arkcon »

Offline 1337monk

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »
OKAY I AM on my last one

"A sample of a solid that dissolves ENDOTHERMICALLY in water. Notecard must have the common name and chemical name of the substance and the balanced equation for the solution process."

I was thinking ice but that would melt. I also have Salt and was wondering if that was endothermic or exothermic, it confuses me because they use salt to melt ice.

Sponsored Links